Author Topic: The great a4all sunflower competition!  (Read 20547 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:The great a4all sunflower competition!
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2004, 14:32:35 »
I'm going to have a go but I think we're all waiting for someone to take the reins. Legless's list above seems to be about right although I think we're in agreement that we 'sow when we see fit' and post on here when and what you sowed. I'm sure as time goes by someone will decide on a 'stop date' (see suggestion from Legless) and how to measure accurately.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2004, 14:46:12 »
How about starting a new thread, where we can all put in the date we have sown? With perhaps the variety?
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2004, 14:52:40 »
Sounds a good idea. That way all the relevant detail will be in one place. Just so long as we stick to those details and nothing else in that thread!

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2004, 14:59:27 »
This sounds fun - count me in :D  I will be sowing Infrared if I am lucky enough to receive them  but if not will have to choose another variety.  Good idea about the new thread.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2004, 15:06:31 »
(Suggested layout - more details may help people to recognise type and method etc).

Date sown;    Name;   Main colour;  

Extras might include where you sowed. (direct or pot - outside/inside/greenhouse.) Where bought. Cost. seeds per packet. Expected height.

Suggestions?

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2004, 21:31:23 »
I'm game too, altho' think I may have broken rule 8 already Legless!!  ::)  I've got about a 6ins head start, in a very warm conservatory!! ( sown a few weeks ago )
So do I get a red card Ken ( the ref )  ??   Haha!!  ;)  ;D
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2004, 22:06:48 »
Meanie! Might have to get my pack out tomorrow!!  Don't forget you need to water them with weedol!!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2004, 07:35:42 »
You get a Brucie for that Doris....

ooooooooooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo![/font]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 07:36:05 by kenkew »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2004, 08:42:32 »
All's fair in love and sunflower competitions Ken! ;D  ;D  ;D

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2004, 10:54:59 »
Count me in. Couldn't tell you the variety though. They're a bag of loose seed that the kids up the road gave me for Christmas (stolen out of the hamster food I suspect)

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2004, 11:12:56 »
Hi all competitors ;)

Regarding details of the comp, as some folks have already sown their seeds before news of the comp was issued, should we try to set a reasonable growing period.  Say 80 days, for example, but have a fixed last sow date that everyone must have sown by so that the competition can be drawn to a close.

I trust that we are all honest enough to tell the truth... ;)
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2004, 13:20:00 »
I don't see how a time span of 80 days is feasable. That means we all need to sow almost at the same time. Some have already sown which puts their dead line at mid-June. Those in the North will be at a disadvantage with this date as personally I wouldn't even think about sowing in the North until at least mid/late April, this means an 80 day dead line finishing in July.
To be fair to as many people as possible a sensible finish date only, (not a sowing date and not a fixed growing period) gives the best and fairest circumstances. It also does away with any chance of anyone being, even jokingly, accused of taking more time than the allowed 80 days.
I would suggest we all sow according to our particular locality at a time we each, individually, will declare. Grow as long as you want, but you must be ready at a fixed future date.
Just a suggestion, but if we set the 12th to 18th of July as the finish, and the week that all submissions should be in by, then we all must sow and grow accordingly, when and how each of us thinks fit for our area/conditions. BUT, your flower must be shown here during those 7 days of July. This, I reckon, gives all contestants, no matter where they are, what their set-up and method is or what their conditions are, a fair and equal chance. Those in warmer climes or those with better equipment can sow anytime from now, those further North will be waiting awhile yet, BUT, there is a dead-line...
I suggest this dead-line is the only rule we need.
(Unless of course someone has a better plan.)

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2004, 13:37:21 »
I agree

that does seem a lot fairer, i left the north for the midlands a good few years ago but still visit friends and family in Cumbria, but only when the weather is better. I forgot that it is still a bit chilly up there.  Sorry to all my northern mates.

Les

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2004, 13:42:40 »
Don't apologise, Les, that's what this thread is for, to work out the fairest method. My home in the UK is North Yorkshire so like you I appreciate the different climes.
Anyway, the suggestions are there, and they are only suggestions. The next couple of days will see what most people prefer and decide what's best for all.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2004, 13:46:48 »
i like your thinking ken, shall i add that week to the original post then?

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2004, 13:48:38 »
I have altered my post on the sowing registration thread to show a measure date to be agreed.

Do you think it needs more or less info on it?

Its hard to tell 2 little girls that they must wait to sow their sunflowers so they are off and running...

Les

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2004, 13:55:14 »
Legless:- If the majority agree on those dates then OK, but I say again that I suggest the final date is the only rule.

Before 'rules' are laid down, people who cannot make it on line during the day have to have a chance to give their opinions. How about making a few suggestions for people to consider and give a few days for comments/suggestions to be aired?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 14:04:49 by kenkew »

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2004, 17:18:23 »
As sowing has already begun I suppose I had better get cracking and get some seed just in case I am not lucky enough to receive my Infrared.  Regarding the showing date as suggested by Ken, that would be ok for me except I would have to show on the last day (18th July) as I will be away during the previous week.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2004, 19:17:58 »
Only suggested dates, Patricia. The week before or after...what ever people are happiest with.

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2004, 15:49:34 »
Meanie!  Don't forget you need to water them with weedol!!

Now 7 inches !!  :o   :-*  ;D

May the most discreet cheater win !!  ;D  ;)  ;D
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal