Author Topic: Finally it all makes sense...  (Read 1921 times)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
Finally it all makes sense...
« on: June 26, 2006, 11:31:09 »
Yep, after months of back-breaking work (well, it was to me - I'm not used to it!) this weekend I had some kind of payback. I harvested the first of several rows of spuds (Pentland Javelin), a row of radishes, lots of 'cut & come again' lettuce, the over-wintering onions and the first few peas (loads more to come by the looks of it).

I'm so chuffed :D - I got the allotment last autumn and have been working as much as time and other committments allow, for what seemed like little reward (other than being outdoors in all weathers and re-connecting with the seasons) - until now! And everything tasted so much fresher and much fuller-flavoured than supermarket stuff. Both my kids helped me with harvest, and they both stuffed themselves with it on Saturday evening - no small achievement, I can tell you! Now I know this may be old hat to you seasoned allotmenteers out there, but for me it's really exciting - a plate full of veg that I've grown myself, and it tasted delicious!  ;D ;D

Sorry, but I just had to get that off my chest! :-[

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Finally it all makes sense...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 11:33:52 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Don't be sorry Rob, that's what it's all about! Well done you, great feeling isn't it?

;)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 11:37:49 »
Great isn't it, well done.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 11:38:06 »
Not half! And even better, it poured with rain this morning as well, so everything's been watered now ;)

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 11:43:38 »
Congrats on your harvest Rob!  It never fails to be exciting when you can start picking your produce. I can't imagine anybody ever being complacent about it - it is a magic time of year!   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 11:50:21 »
Congratulations Rob, I started my little half plot in February and have dug in rain and snow to clear it. I've just had my first new potatoes (swift), peas, strawberries and calabrese. Lots more to come and far tastier than anything Mr. Sainsburys could flog.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 11:50:37 »
Yippee!  That feeling never grows old!  Every winter the same...cold....muddy....digging and grafting....then the rewards start to come.  For me, seeing the kids tucking in is reward enough! Congratulations Rob.!

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 11:55:20 »
 For me, seeing the kids tucking in is reward enough! Congratulations Rob.!

Completely agree with that EJ - my eldest loves her veg so no surprise that she enjoyed everything, but my youngest is in a 'McDonalds is best' phase at the moment, and even she told me how tasty everything was! That's about the highest praise I can get! ;D

Cheers,
Rob ;)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 13:21:02 »
This reminds me why we have tastebuds ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Trevor Holloway

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 13:32:22 »
Took over our "virgin" plot in January.
Last night we shared a jacket new potato (90 seconds in the microwave).
Told her to stop buying potatos too - that felt good.

She is now coveting the neighbours plot too !

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 14:44:13 »
It never stops being exciting, well done Rob, you deserve to be well chuffed :D

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 14:52:54 »
Thanks everyone, it's nice to  be able to talk about this with people who don't look at me like I'm a loon! ("Whaddya mean you grew 'em yerself, we can get 'em cheaper in Tescos :( - and they're not all covered in muck..." >:()

Anyway, now I'm just hoping the rest of my stuff is as good as these first pickings.

Cheers,
Rob ;)

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 19:48:57 »
Supper on Saturday at our house consisted of: boiled new potatoes, lightly sautéed mangetout, beetroot and shallots roasted in olive oil flavoured with green garlic - and some meat or other   ;) .  All of it grown and harvested by my own fair hands.

And all of it delicious.  First year doing this, and such a great feeling.  :D
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal