Author Topic: Strawberries  (Read 1432 times)

keef

• Hectare
Strawberries
« on: June 23, 2006, 19:12:25 »
Just picked 2.5lbs of strawberries - and have been picking well over a 1lb every other night for the last two weeks - is there any side affects from eating too many  ;D

I have started having reacurring dreams about eating massive very ripe strawberries.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 19:54:57 »
The only side effect I can remember from when I was little, was what my mum called an 'acid rash' (I was covered in spots).

Mum and dad had a greengrocery shop.  I don't think they ever made a profit on strawberries!!!

valmarg

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 01:24:06 »
Yes Envy !!     ;)
another member of i forgot my password

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 14:29:17 »
Something's eaten all mine- birds, i guess, even though I  netted them. How do you protect yours?

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 14:32:47 »
I'm envious too. ;D

How many plants do you have keef? I can eat strawberries all day. :P

tecker

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 14:39:27 »
hi im extremely jealouse as i have only had about a pound of all my 3 dozen or so plants i dont know if there are any side efects from eating to many but i hope so ;)

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 15:16:15 »
Hi Keef,

I would love to know how many plants you have and what variety they are, I have a dozen plnts and never get many, it's probably time to get some new blood and would love a high producing variety.

Enjoy your glut !

Tinkie_Bear

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 20:40:44 »
I can't remember what variety they are - I bought 2 plants about 4 years ago - and the whole lot are descended from those plants.

The first year i planted all the runners in a couple of rows - about 16 plants. From then on I've just left the patch to spread on its own, the patch is now about 2m X 4m.

All i do is mulch with compost in mid spring, and water up until they start to ripen if its dry.

I keep it well covered with netting from well before any of the fruits start to ripen. I think that once the bird know there's fruit there they'll try anything to get at them, so covering with netting early means the bird never figure out the fruits there to be had.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 21:27:41 »
I'm not certain but....

I've an idea that too many strawberries can cause some sort of 'irritationinflammation' to delicate linings of some young children's 'wateworks' - i.e. the urethra!!...more so I think in females  :-\

maybe it would be worth googling....I just remember as a very young child....having some sort of problem (like a cystitis I think) which my Mother said was too many strawberries.

Maybe it was some sort of Old Wive's Tale - the more I think about it, the more I guess it was.

H.P.

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 22:55:50 »
if i eat too many strawberries i get...ahem...the mexican 2 step!
It'll be better next year

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal