Author Topic: Duck Weed  (Read 2251 times)

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
Duck Weed
« on: June 07, 2006, 18:07:32 »
Any way to get rid of this? Fish Pond is covered in it - every last inch. Have tried to manully remove it but there is so much and the tadpoles are not making it easy. Is there a biologocal option that is friendly to fish and other wildlife ?

Cheers

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Duck Weed
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 13:40:08 »
This may sound flipent but get Koi they eat everything even duck weed, if some go in our pool its not there for long they eat it. I have it in a still water feature( old bath) and some in a small pool but if any is tranfered into large pool it diserpears.
Or get hens they love the stuff I thin mine out and give it to them as titbits I just about recycle anything ha ha.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 21:56:58 »
Tell me about it!!
Duckweed. An old friend gave me a lilly some years ago after my beloved 'James Brydon' gave up. Can't get rid of the d**n stuff as he had it in his pond.
I still talk to him though.
Pick every bit of it out - believe me, you can't beat it? unless someone knows better?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 22:53:53 »
I got it with a free lilly but at least it thrives! I find just sitting on the bank manually thinning it very theraputic and it goes on the compost heap. Live with it at least it is a fresh green colour!
 8)

Spookyville

• Acre
    • downtheplot
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 00:49:18 »
its like pea soup - literally. but trying to remove it manually is a pain right noe due to the thousands of tadpoles that get caught with it when you scoop it out, which is why I was wondering if there was a "quick fix" for the problem. If not, once the tadpoles have gone I am going to give it a good empty/clean to get rid of the stuff..

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 23:09:02 »
I can fish the taddies out of it easy enough it's the smaller fry (no pun intended we don't have fish!) that I get worried about!
 ???

georgiesox

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 00:01:49 »
I have heard that Tetrapon's Algofin will get rid of Duckweed but they do not/cannot advertise this on the packaging for some reason.

libby

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 00:21:39 »
the only way is, move fish and plants, in buckets DRY the pond out,temporally worked for me ;D :'(but it's back this year ::)

Spookyville

• Acre
    • downtheplot
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 13:03:52 »
bit the bullet and emptied. fish temp housed elsewhere for now. a few stranglers still floating about (duckweed) but I am skimming with a small fish net every couple of days until it is all removed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal