Author Topic: What are your watering habits?  (Read 7447 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: What are your watering habits?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 09:45:37 »
Saving the heat-up tap water is bright, Emma. So much is wasted that way.

Equally bad is always running the hot tap, without even waiting for hot water, just because the tap is on the left. Just watch how often folk do that. And that means that the 1/2 -1 gallon of hot water you didn't get just goes cold in the pipe.

One sometimes forgets that water price has increased 27% & electricity 47% in 2 years??

PS Amazing how far 9 large butts + one next door can go!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 09:54:17 by tim »

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2006, 12:55:43 »

PS Amazing how far 9 large butts + one next door can go!

A bucket goes with me into the shower ;D. My bathroom is quite a way from the boiler so the bucket is 3/4 full before the water is comfortably warm. In the kitchen a large plastic jug is filled sometimes twice or three times a day and all the water is used for my plants - they don't seem to mind if has been used to wash hands or lettuce :)

Tim, I've seen your photos of your large garden - I wouldn't mind betting that even nine butts wouldn't suffice for my tiny garden and pond here in the south-west. As Umshamrock says - we've had no measurable rain for ages and my five butts have long been empty.

The sun is shining as I write and no rain is forecast for the immediate future, so tap water it will have to be ::).

Tricia

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 12:58:04 »
Wow, I am so impressed with how little you guys water. Here, in Plymouth, it hasn't really rained in almost a month. It's good to know that my plants will live without water.

i don't believe that for a minute!! :D  i've never seen as much rain as i did in my 5 years in plymouth!!

watering wise, i haven't watered anything in the ground yet, just stuff in seed trays, and my cucumbers are in large pots, they probably get watered every couple of days. i'm in suffolk.

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 13:41:38 »
I've been more diligent this year with watering, about once every 4 days for established plants, more often for seedlings (once a day for the first week or so). Glad to know I can leave some plants like potatos a bit longer!  :)
This year it's squash.

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2006, 16:48:58 »
I come from 3 generations of gardeners and I can always remeber my Grandad saying that watering vegetables is like giving sweets to a child. Once you start they will always want more. (he was a miserable old bast..d) >:( I don't water any of my lottie veg except for the tomatoes and they get a gallon each every 10 days when the fruit is forming. It's true that watered plants are weaker. The worst possible mistake is regular light watering...you need the plants to get there roots down.....tough love is what they need. Be mean and keep them keen.... ;D ;) ;D Better put the bucket on my head to avoid the FLAK :)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 17:23:40 »
Adding on to my own comments......noticed this morning that my new pak choi (judged too small to pull just yet) is developing flowerheads. I'm wondering if my lack of watering has put these plants in survival mode leading to premature bolting?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 18:01:20 »
Lishka - I find that they'll do it just for the Hell of it!!

tricia - yes - large, but we leave most things to their devices &, for the others, they're no more than 80m from the kitchen tap. But it sure tells on ones back!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 18:41:35 »
I agree Rob!  Having lived 10 minutes from Wimbledon for all of my childhood years, you could guarantee rain, and Cliff!  ;D

Lish, I don't sow spinach until late august because it will bolt immediately, same with pak choi and corriander.  I think the grower could be more flexible with their sowing times (not you....tis the royal we if you know what I mean).  We should have an idea what grows well on our plot and what struggles in the heat of the summer, so quick to mature things like radish and chinese greens I grow late winter/early spring, then not again until very late summer/early autumn.  By now, radish on my plot won't even germinate!

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 21:04:50 »
me!me!me!(kitty hops up and down!)
that was my idea i want the Bright Idea Badge! ;D ;D ;D

well..i think most of us are doing really well in the water saving area!by which i dont mean to disparage the water users-each to his own i say-we none of us know what each others plot is really like so its best if each waters according to conscience.. ;)
*kitty joins dinger with bucket on head!* ;D

i had to have a serious word with the veg plot-i think they thought that it was time they had more to drink-they've got another think coming!
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006, 23:09:58 »
EJ, thanks for tip about spring/autumn sowing of pak choi, this was my first attempt. Shall harvest & eat what I've got tomorrow, then :)  Lorna sent me the seeds & we sowed them together - she'll be in for a surprise, too, then, when she comes back from hol :o

and this  8) is for Kool Kitty in place of a Badge ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2006, 05:44:28 »
Kool kitty :D

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2006, 05:58:27 »
Have no time for watering the allotment - its hard to keep up with harvesting, weeding, planting at this time of year.
The greenhouse gets a drink when it needs it/ I remember.

Rhys

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2006, 12:44:18 »
After Monty Don mentioning recycling bath water, I have been syphoning the bath water off - I think it will save the garden from the drought!

Also been reusing washing up water for pots.

Give veg a good soak once a week in hot weather and every day for seeds until they appear.

I'm down to my last water butt, so I'm hoping for rain soon.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2006, 17:05:32 »
thanks lish and sproutington!i shall wear my badge with watery pride!! ;D

we are under enforced water restrictions at Kitty Towers anyway-we have a leak(shame its not a leek)and only have access to running water for 5 mins a day to fill the (many) buckets stood in the kitchen-the 5th plumber(the first four didnt want the job-no money to be made from it apparently-ahem!)will fix it-which involves digging the kitchen floor up-as soon as he returns from his Baltic Cruise in 4 weeks time......

i really am in the wrong job*mutter mutter*

dry kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2006, 18:33:03 »
I know the feeling; I once lived in a tower block with a leaking pipe at the bottom. After it had leaked for nine months, with water running across the pavament, it burst. Naturally this happened on a Friday afternoon. So  350 people, including babies and octogenarians, were left on a standpipe over the weekend. Never mind tapwater, we couldn't even flush the toilets.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2006, 20:19:03 »
mmm..its a bit like that at kitty towers..still-it does make you grateful you dont have to walk 10 miles with a pot on your head..

we are still managing to stay clean...if not a little grumpy at times!-but i shant half be pleased when its mended!

i wonder if rhys's syphon would stretch to lincolnshire-i wouldnt mind second hand bathwater at the moment!
'bath with a friend?'i'd give me eye teeth and bathe with the divil himself if it meant sloshing around in a bubbly bath with soap...lots of soap.and a loofah..and radox-oh yeah radox-lots of it,and warm fluffy towels..

sorry-had a 'ben gunn and cheese' moment there...
o well-not long til he docks..i've a good mind to pick the plumber up from southampton meself!

kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2006, 07:21:10 »
sorry-had a 'ben gunn and cheese' moment there...
Oh kitty you do make me laugh! Good one ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2006, 18:05:31 »
:-* ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2006, 22:32:46 »
ohh, Kitty, you poor thing - I've got lots of lovely hot water and you would be more than welcome to indulge yourself with some radoxx - maybe you could think of a reason to visit Yorkshire ?

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2006, 16:55:40 »
a baths reason enough!!! ;D

hold on-i'm on me way!!!
*kitty grabs towel..frilly shower cap...loofah...soap on a rope..and rubber ducky..* ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal