Author Topic: Blueberry not flowering  (Read 2454 times)

ice

• Not So New ...
Blueberry not flowering
« on: June 28, 2006, 21:08:26 »
I bought a blueberry plant last year from the Dorset Blueberry Co- variety 'Bluegold'. Neither last year nor this year has it flowered, yet the other variety 'Duke' had loads of berries this year. Any idea what's going on? Bluegold is even meant to be an early flowering variety.
thanks.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Blueberry not flowering
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 21:24:25 »
ice, will go and check mine, one has berries, the other looks decidedly miserable, dropped all its leaves and looks as if it is going to kark it!
mine came from the same place, will report back! ;)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

amphibian

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 09:14:27 »
Hang-on, I have loads of varities growing, I think I have bluegold... I will have a look.

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 09:18:04 »
My MIL and me both have the same and one of hers has nada on it but both of mine are chocka.  We can only come to the conclusion that one of hers doesn't get as much sun as the other as they are not next to eachother.  Still, will watch what others think and let her know too.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 13:40:26 »
They do have on-off years. My main bush as of last year has a couple of handfuls this time round, and the off-bush which I was going to give the chop to is heaving and desp needs netting before the birdies spot it!

Water with ericaceous food, give a spring top-dressing of ericaceous compost and water with rainwater. That should give you a good year next time!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 13:41:39 »
The other thing to bear in mind is that perennials have to reach a certain age before they do start generating flowers and fruit - if you only bought it last year, maybe it's just too young!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal