General > Computers / Internet

Webby making advice

(1/4) > >>

kenkew:
I've had a few goes at creating a web site but the results haven't been too great. The one I currently have I'm happy with but I only assisted in it's making. It would be nice to have the know-how to be able to make such a site myself.  (www.bowtechbelgium.com ).
Can anyone point me to some info that doesn't means lots of time spent playing with code/HTML? Ta!

gavin:
Hi Kenkew - I'll tiptoe very quietly in here, with all my prejudices, and knowing only some of the mistakes I've made! ???

For a website as widely accessible as possible, it is well worth getting to know HTML - with a couple of books from the cheap remainder bookshops.  

A really useful programme for writing HTML - 1st Page 2000, downloadable from http://www.evrsoft.com/ - and it's free.  HTML isn't a lot more complicated than ordinary word-processing - it's just that you have to type in commands as tags.

The problem with "shortcuts" is that they can produce a fine site - but with grotesque coding and huge file loads;  so people like me with an elderly computer and a dial-up connection will either wait for several minutes --------- or (more usually) go find another site!  "Goodies" like Flash shut out a lot of users.  

Hey, but I have to say that your site is a rare exception - Flash that works pretty well and reasonably quickly on my computer?  That is rare!

BUT - I am a bit of a Luddite!   See what other people think too.

Good luck - Gavin

ava_banana:
Used Front Page in the Old days...........found that this helped to learn a little HTML, as both a preview and an HTML view of each page was available.....

....Namo do quite a nice web page editor/creator....., and I understand the latest version is recommended ....

...Personally, I tend to use Dreamweaver....but then that is because I am lazy and haven't learnt all the HTML codes.....

......try a few.....start with the free ones.....see which one fits your needs and skill level.....

Good luck.....

kenkew:
I'm playing with the freeware FTP Commander but it's asking me for an FTP server name. I've tried what I think it wants but I'm not getting access.

gavin:
Hi kenkew - I'm guessing that you're trying to upload a web site onto the web?  You should be able to get the correct address from your ISP or web-host.

Can be a bit fiddly!

Good luck - Gavin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version