Author Topic: a few questions....  (Read 1519 times)

superstat

• Not So New ...
a few questions....
« on: June 19, 2006, 18:11:15 »
hey,

For those of you that havent read my post in 'The Shed' im AJ and new to all this...

Firstly with so little experience on my side i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on the basics....

secondly..manure...my allotment hasn't been worked for a few years and im slowly getting through it all....im not planting too much as i have my work cut out with clearing....i drove past a local farm the other day and saw bags of horse manure for 50p....was just wondering if it is a good time to dig it in or should i wait?
Regards,

AJ

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: a few questions....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 18:26:54 »
A good book? See tried and tested favourites at
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/topic,17979.0

For tips on using manure, try
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/topic,10469.0

If the farm is local, see if they would deliver in bulk to your plot for the price of the fuel and a few beers - nothing like a pile of manure festering on the plot to make you feel rich beyond the dreams of avarice ;)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 20:43:49 »
It's £1 near me, so 50p sounds good if the manure is well rotted and the bags are heavy enough to be slightly difficult for you to heave into your car boot (I am 63 and not that fit).

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 09:18:29 »
Having had horses, find a local livery yard/riding school and they will let you take it for free off their heaps... you only pay for the bagging up and as most places find it hard to get rid of they should be grateful to you for taking it!  You can then heap it up and let it rot on its own.

If i only had a trailer.... dont think OH will let me put horse poo in the car LOL.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 10:07:41 »

If the farm is local, see if they would deliver in bulk to your plot for the price of the fuel and a few beers

I wish!

The farmers in our area are not interested they would rather throw it on the fields even if the fields are to remain fallow.

If you do get one interested it is at least £30 to have a load delivered.

I think it is just a sign of the times and possibly that some plot holders ask the driver to place they stuff in near impossible positions meaning delivering a load can be quite time consuming so they reckon it is not worth the effort.

markyb23

• Half Acre
  • Bloke from Stoke
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 10:20:25 »
Hi AJ,
         first of all, Best Of Luck to you, and everyone else who are just getting into the allotment lark.
  Re- horse manure.I'm a big fan of the stuff myself and as far as I'm concerned you can't have too much of it.Before buying any I would check that it's pretty well rotted and that it hasn't got wood shavings in it.I would ask at a riding school or two.If you are lucky you might be able to get a free supply of It.
  As far a good books are concerned.There are loads of decent ones out there.I would say try before you buy.Either by getting some from the library or having a good read while standing in W.H. Smith's or wherever.Charity shops are worth a try.You can sometimes drop on fantastic books very cheaply.For new books,I find that Amazon take some beating. My long time personal favourite  is still-'The Which Guide To Growing Your Own Vegetables' by Liz Dobbs.I originally  borrowed it from the library and eventually managed to get a copy from a charity shop for £2.95p.
       All The Best-Marky.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 14:11:53 »
Yes, do try not to actually BUY horse manure, I also get mine from the local stables, free, not rotted, and leave it in a heap to rot down, then use it. In fact, since you're new, maybe it's a good time to say - do try not to actually BUY anything! Seeds excepted. There is so much you can do with your allotment with very little money and a lot of perseverance. Good Luck.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 15:06:25 »
very wise advice there from jennym, there is nothing so pleasing as scavanging the things you need, it kind of personalises you r plot too.  my book recommendation would be the vegetable expert by dr hessayon. mines a bit out of date these days but i think there is a new edition out.  it is very basic bfut a good one to start from and then as you learn there are plenty others. i have found that other people on my site are very helpful with advice aswell.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 15:34:25 »
I agree on not spending money unless it is essential ... a lot of this is down to always keeping your eyes open for anything up for grabs. Horsemuck from stables is one example of course, sadly I will be rather reluctant to be putting it into my nice brand new shiny car !!!

Because I have the practical skills, I have even resorted to making some of my own tools, - now that really IS satisfying :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal