Author Topic: Lily Beetle  (Read 1688 times)

Larkspur

• Acre
Lily Beetle
« on: June 12, 2006, 16:23:25 »
I found the first lily beetle I have ever seen yesterday on one of my pots of lilies. Has anyone else had problems with them as far north or west as Shropshire? I thought they were still pretty much confined to the south east?.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
Re: Lily Beetle
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 22:43:08 »
I found this on the RHS site in response to a question elsewhere:

Scarlet lily beetle is a serious pest in much of southern England and it has spread much further north in recent years. It occurs in some parts of Wales and as far north as Yorkshire and Lancashire. In 2002 it was found in Scotland at Glasgow and in Northern Ireland at Belfast.

As with all these things, they move!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 22:58:36 »
Trade you some for asparagus beetle!
 ;D

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 07:00:08 »
Only if your looking for dead lily beetle ;) ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 07:11:57 »
I had it in Birmingham last year. Squash the horrible things, and keep looking for the larvae; they cover themselves in poo, and look like little bits of black bird poo.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 09:36:30 »
I do a daily pick off and squash.  Darn things.  All my lilies got gobbled last year when I was less vigilant.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 17:48:38 »
It's a deal Larkspur, but most of the asparagus beetle come in two halves as well!
 ;D

robynsgarden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 17:27:03 »
Hi,

I've just joined to get some info about Lily Beetles. I live in Chorley in Lancashire and have found them in my garden. We have removed our much munched lily and squished all the beetles on that plant and boiled all of the eggs and larvae which we found on the other plants. I hope that if I keep checking I'll catch any remaining beetles before they do any more damage.

My mum said that she thought that as they seem to be spreading northwards and we are fairly far north that I should report it. Should I? Who do I report it to?  ???

Thanks

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 07:04:38 »
Mrs KP manically rebuilding hadrian's wall to keep the blighters out.

as i've a garden full of lilies, they are something i really don't need.

the wind took one of my pots last night  :'( not too much damage but one bloom is a bit crushed.

on my way out for the lily beetle/blackfly inspection in 5 mins.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 09:56:18 »
Seem to be a resident fixture here in South Cheshire.  Just another task to add to the list of things to do in an odd free moment - at least they're reasonably easy to spot & catch.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal