Produce > Non Edible Plants

Disaster looming?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ceri:
I've covered up some of the new shoots of chives I've got coming, and a load of parsley that's come through the winter so far beautifully with pop bottles - I've got loads of autumn sown garlic cloves in, and I'm sure I heard that a hard cold spell does them loads of good.  

Because of the mild weather, loads of my bushes in the garden have started sprouting fresh new growth which will probably blacken off, this year I didn't cut back the perennials after flowering, but left them until early spring as this seems to be the new advise to lessen frost danage - we'll soon find out!

legless:
bulbs are normally alright if they get snowed on in my (limited) experience. everything tends to fend for itself in my garden except my tree fern, which has its trunk and pot wrapped in fleece - fronds haven't died back at all this year yet which is weird.

The gardener:
Plants buried under snow are generally OK in fact they are quite sheltered under it.

It is cold/wet conditions that tends to do more damage.

Like Richard I grow my stuff quite hard and dry.

Just a point on temperatures, If the pot is saturated with water the plants will suffer more as the water cools to the surrounding conditions.

Plants grown on the dry side are better insulated, I have proved both these situations with a soil thermometer.

I find the difference can be as much as 2-3°C (5-6°F) meaning if the surrounding area is hovering on freezing (32°F) the soil can be as high as 4°C (40°F) therefore keeping your root systems frost free.

Fresh young growth growth can be protected with fleece, cloches, upturned pot bottles etc.

Piglet:
Thanks guys, hopefully will have some nice tulips to look forward to this spring !  :D

Piglet.

campanula:
yep, everything in my garden is gonna have to fend for itself but I am sort of responsible for a whopping great palm (Phoenix Canariensis) I was nagged into planting so have been insulating like mad. It is already fleeced and wrapped and stands in a timber frame which I am now covering with polythene (to keep rain from soaking the soil despite loads of drainage) and stuffing with straw. If it fails, then I can claim that I have done my utmost. It would be so sad though as the palm is at least 3.5m tall and has thrived all summer (despite much head shaking from me).
So, heads down and time to hibernate - glad I am working inside this month, doing a loft.
cheers. suzy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version