Author Topic: New half plot  (Read 2197 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
New half plot
« on: July 24, 2006, 21:37:59 »
Took possession of a new half plot at the weekend. Instalments of mulch, watering and black plastic just started to prevent the kindly Council from rotavating. I know it looks like nothing now - ohhh but the potential ;) Next year it will be growing globe artichokes and perennial fruit bushes - yay! ;D

« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 21:46:17 by supersprout »

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Re: New half plot
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 21:57:34 »
congrats SS, muchos enviousos hereos !

i've sooooooo many plan(t)s but they're all having to stay in my head for the moment.

you will of course keep us updated with the progress, naturally !

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 22:01:39 »
A woman of vision!! (just don't think about the pain before the vision becomes reality! ;))

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 22:22:35 »
Hi supersprout

am i glad i saw your picture, see mine on my plot, we should have a prize for the best kept allotment lol,
OOo you ahead of me you got composter lol

If i find one on my half plot ill let you know he he
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 06:39:46 »
Sad story - two lay-dees took on the half plot for a year before abandoning it, having grown some impressive crops and laid out edged beds and paths. Kindly site rep took up all the wood and carted it away in the blazing sun before the Council came to strim. In a way I feel I'm keeping up the Honour of the Lay-dees by taking it over ::)

(just don't think about the pain before the vision becomes reality! ;))

not that much pain anne - no-dig
you must have iron self-discipline kaypee, I cannae keep them plants in me head :-[
race you up the plot with the black plastic steve ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 06:43:19 by supersprout »

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 07:54:09 »
what sort of plastic is best to use SS? I know about weed suppresent fabric, but not sure where to go for plastic.  which is better?  sorry to go off topic, congrats on new plot-  look forward to seeing progress reports. :)

woppa30

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 08:21:50 »
If you want strong black plastic I can recommend something called DPM (Damp Proof Membrane) from a builders merchant. Its the same stuff you find in garden centers but half the price and very strong.
Hope this helps.
Woppa

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 10:22:21 »
what sort of plastic is best to use SS? I know about weed suppresent fabric, but not sure where to go for plastic.  which is better?  sorry to go off topic, congrats on new plot-  look forward to seeing progress reports. :)

Thank you sarah, I buy 4 ft wide rolls of perforated membrane so's the rain gets through - my lottie neighbour uses damp proof membrane but his squash are looking sad cos the rain goes into puddles on it instead of soaking through (upside is the birdies love it). It's been the best investment apart from mesh! I wish I could remember where I got mine - but kays and allplas.co.uk do something that looks similar :)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 10:34:56 »
Congratulations on your new acquisition Supersprout. You are an example and motivation to us all (well to me anyway  ;D )
The impossible is just a journey away ...

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 12:34:01 »
Many congrats SS!  Great news about your new plot. I am sure you will soon have it licked into shape!  ;D busy_lizzie 
live your days not count your years

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 16:50:09 »
Thank you for your encouragement - had no idea I'd want to tackle so much when I took the first plot on in May a year ago! Sometimes things just 'click' - the big difference of course is the daily advice and motivation I get from A4a-ers - couldn't do it without you! :) :-*
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 17:07:49 by supersprout »

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 22:47:29 »
Oh deep joy SS.I just know you will be very happy together, looking forward to more pics. You seem to have a very obliging local council!!
Ours do absolutely nothing and I seem to be surrounded by abandoned plots full of weeds at the mo.
(saw some composters in Asda today for £15,but as the Bearded Wonder created a masterpiece from pallets I shant be having one).
Happy planning, M.
Smile, it confuses people.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 06:02:14 »
Three months ago I would have laughed at the obliging local council comment magggs - weedy plots, no compost or woodchips, loads of vacant plots etc. I got fed up with the 'official' Council allotment chap and ended up talking to a very obliging lady in the Council by email who has arranged removal of a pile of glass (pictures helped), delivery of woodchips, and strimming. Persistence pays ... or is it just finding a good woman? ::)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 09:30:40 »
Now we know the answer to that one, don't we  ;D ;D ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal