Author Topic: allotment gardening against the odds!  (Read 1350 times)

organicartist

• Quarter Acre
allotment gardening against the odds!
« on: June 15, 2006, 11:25:34 »
My health deteriorated suddenly last year and I found myself unable to walk or stand for more than a minute or two, and looking after my allotment seemed almost impossible.  I really didn't want to give up my allotment and decided to do the best I could this year & see how it went.

I bought a 2ndhand electric powerchair built like a small tractor, which is happy to travel over muddy, grassy, uneven ground, so I had a way to get to my plot.  ASDA sell a gardening toolbox on big wheels which is ideal for gardening - low enough to make gardening while seated easy & all tools close to hand in the box. I found normal tools too heavy, but the Wolf range of tools with interchangeable heads were expensive but I now find them indespensible, as they're lightweight & you can choose the handle length that best suits you.

My plot got terribly weedy because I was too ill to garden in spring, but gradually I'm regaining control.

To everyone's amazement I have got veg growing: artichokes, lettuces, peas, swtrawberries, tomatoes, aubergines, 2 varieties of courgettes, red peppers & sweetcorn & ying yang beans just sprouting.  My raspberries, strawberries & currants have had to fend for themselves, but seem to be cropping heavily none the less.

Yesterday I traded veg with one of the other plotholders, artichokes for onions and new potatoes.  Lunch was courtesy of the allotments - hot artichoke heart & new potato salad with caramelised onions, delicious!

I'm hoping to get some carrots and beetroot planted soon & am really glad I kept the plot on, it's helped keep me happy in difficult circumstances.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 11:27:43 by organicartist »

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: allotment gardening against the odds!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 11:37:04 »
Your courage and determination is impressive, and commendable. I am glad that you are still able to relish two of the wonderful joys of vegetable gardening, 'being' there, and enjoying a truly fresh harvest.

You are an inspiration to us lesser mortals !
The impossible is just a journey away ...

organicartist

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 12:01:58 »
Thanks Curry, but I'm far from impressive & inspirational, just someone who enjoys gardening

:)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 14:58:58 »
Well I can certainly relate to that !  :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 17:11:04 »
 ;D

Don't like american phrases as a rule. Awesome springs to mind though! Well done you, it just shows what can be done with a bit of determination!

;)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 17:59:51 »
Full of admiration for you organicartist!  Fantastic achievement - you should feel very proud of yourself! There is something very special about gardening and growing your own produce and I am sure it has done your health and wellbeing nothing but good. You have done it and everyone should feel impressed!! Have a great harvest! 8)  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 18:18:36 »
Well done Organicartist, I've not been well for three years nearly, but not in your league, and your determination to keep at it is an inspiration to all allotment holders..... many an able-bodied plotholder has done less on our site!
 :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 18:44:17 »
Well done organicartist, I should make a trip down the Dogsthorpe to see your wheelie cart!
So pleased you found the wit to stick at it and are reaping the rewards :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 19:12:12 »
I never got quite that bad when I had ME, but at one stage I couldn't turn over in bed till late morning, and it was taking me several days to recover from a trip to the corner shop. Keep going, and I hope things get better.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 19:56:20 »
I have to echo what Curry says - your courage and determination to carry on with what you love doing despite your difficulties is something everybody should know about.  It is all too easy to let these things get you down and to give up and you haven't.  I hope you continue to enjoy both the effort and the rewards for as long as is possible.  You are an inspiration to me and I should think to many others who read this thread.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 20:23:04 »
makes me even more determine to get this bloody lottie and make it work.

i'm fully abled (well some people would say i'm slightly barmy but that's not the point).

your determination not to give in makes me cherish what i have and to put it to good use.

keep going organicartist, you give the rest of us strength.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 21:33:58 »
I admire you organicartist, ;) you have achieved far more than I, an able bodied lottie man, I feel quite ashamed of myself.

Well done.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 21:44:01 »
I can only echo the feelings of others that have said
You are an inspiration to us all, to not give in to your problems but to work around them. Your foresite and your achement is a credit to you.
I hope you have a bumper harvest this year its great when you can swap with lottie neighbroughs.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 22:06:26 »
WELL DONE YOU!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 22:39:36 »
What a brilliant attitude. Like others have said you are to be admired and congratulated on your determination. Any chance of any pics??
Best wishes Lorna.

the wizards sleeve

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 22:46:57 »
WELL DONE YOU AND KEEP IT UP

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 22:53:43 »
:) Great stuff, sounds like you have a productive plot there.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

David R

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 08:44:21 »
big thumbs up to you

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 18:38:42 »
your an inspiration, well done. :-*

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal