Author Topic: Garden visits  (Read 1725 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Garden visits
« on: June 10, 2006, 22:20:32 »
Hi all,

I had the pleasure to visit Edinburgh botanic gardens and Alnwick gardens last weekend and thought some of you might want to have a look;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/ss-Edinburgh%20Botanic%20gardens/__INDEX.HTM

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/ss-Alnwick%20gardens/__INDEX.HTM

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Garden visits
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 22:46:07 »
Tee Gee Wonderful places to visit. Really enjoyed looking at all the pics. I really liked the Azalea Lawn pics and also Demonstration Gardens at Edinburgh
Wow that Grand Cascade and the Tree House are really something. Thank you for taking the time to show us all the pics.
Lorna.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 00:34:29 »
Lovely pictures - I was particularly taken with the hedges, especially the one with the square cut-out entrance.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 06:55:57 »
your pics are so organised
love EBG
enjoyed looking at your pics :)
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

mm-b

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 08:39:36 »
tee gee
lovely photos :)
I love alnwick, did you see the gardens behind the cascade fountain, its lovely and the water leading to the fountain goes all through it.
I watched a programme about when the Duchess of Northumberland had the cascade built, it was very informative and Prince Charles opened the garden to the public. They had lots of problems getting the water into the garden, but it all turned out ok.
melanie

sunflower

• Half Acre
  • it doesn`t cost a thing to smile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 14:37:28 »
Lovely pics, that grand cascade is something else! looked very inviting just fancy dipping my feet in it!
Light of my life!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 15:48:05 »
Beautiful pictures, Tee Gee.  Just loved all those fabulous water features.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 16:10:06 »
One day I will get up there to see for myself, but in the mean time this is the next best thing, with the emphasis on 'best'.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 21:54:13 »
What a beautiful place Tee Gee.  I really enjoyed sitting back, relaxing with my drink on this hot summer evening and looking at your slide shows.  Loved the azalea gardens and the water features, especially that magnificent water fall.  Thank you for sharing :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 12:11:03 »
Just got back from Edinburgh, so was nice to see the pictures from the Royal Botanic Gardens, which were looking beautiful in the sunshine this weekend (not such good weather for those of us taking part in the marathon, though). Thought the chinese garden was very impressive, the plants collected from socotra (the "galapagos of the indian ocean") were interesting and always nice to see azaleas, rhododendrons and all the other ericaceous things that won't grow at home

There was a lily-like plant around 8ft high, with no label to identify it. Anyone have any thoughts on what it could be? Didn't take the camera with me, so no photos and I can't even remember the colour of the flowers.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 13:04:36 »

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 14:28:18 »
Cardiocrinum giganteum?