Author Topic: Another Cucumber Question  (Read 1097 times)

vaca

• Half Acre
Another Cucumber Question
« on: June 15, 2006, 09:47:49 »
Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered, but search still not working and couldn't find anything on the Wiki. I have two varieties of outdoor cucumbers seedlings ready for planting out. My question is - how do I support them? do they climb up like french climbing beans? or do they need some kind of a mesh for tendrils to hook on to?

Many thanks,
Vaca

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
Re: Another Cucumber Question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:08:03 »
I grew mine up a couple of canes with some string criss crossing between last year they did fine.
This year I have a sort of cane wigwam type structure and will see how the go as the canes are closer together than last year, will add wire/string if needed but they don't need much.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 18:57:42 »
I think they're fairly easy to grow up canes but as I've got loads of sweet corn in I'm letting mine ramble through some of that. two have been bitten off by slugs which is annoying as I only had the seven to start with. I lost a couple of pumpkins the same way but that's less serious as I've got spares and much of the crop will end up being given away anyway.

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 23:09:19 »
cucumbers will happily climb up a cane but to help support the weight of the crop put a tie in every foot to assist the tendrils

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal