Author Topic: Growing a lawn from seed  (Read 5350 times)

boxingtortoise

• Not So New ...
  • Growing up a storm
Growing a lawn from seed
« on: January 26, 2004, 18:33:49 »
On my allot we have sectioned off a bit to have a nice bit of lawn on so my lottie-partners new-born son can have somewhere to sit in his pram/play in future seasons. I used some quite goo earth we had dug out of another bed to make a little falat plateau, as the ground there was a bit rough/stony. What type of grass seed should i use for making a nice looking, averagely hard-wearing bit of lawn?
What should i do to the ground to prepare, and when should i sow the seeds? Will the birds eat them?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Plantsman.

• Not So New ...
Re: Growing a lawn from seed
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 23:21:05 »
Here are a couple of pages in my website devoted to the creation of a lawn. I'm sure it doesn't matter whether it is at home or on the allotment.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/gardennotes/thelawn.htm

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 01:29:43 »
Great minds boxingtortoise.  When we had our 'family' lottie with the parents, I was firstly single, the lurved up, then pregs, then had a wee darling girlie, and I toiled the soil continuously.  My dad created a lovely area for our daughter, grass patch which he surrounded on 3 sides with reclaimed wooden louvre doors laid on their long sides and steaked safely into the ground.  Then on the fourth side he used a smaller door, leaving a gateway kinda thing.  We used to have a great big pub brolly to shade the area and a plassy box of toys, and she used to be as happy as larry there in her wee pen.  Nothing to do with the grass question tho  :-/.  All I would say is remember the shade - our lottie was an absolute suntrap, no escape at all.  Our new plot has a couple of apple trees so I am hoping the old fellar will constuct a wee play area/pen/fort for the 'angels' in their shade.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 11:16:26 »
What a good environment for the children.Well done is all that i can say.If only more children were brought upm to see their parents digging the land andgrowing their own they wouldnt be saying" i've nowt to do "they would be in there helping.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 13:42:08 »
lovely idea - I have a 3 1/2 yrd old - a lawned area is no good for him, but he has a patch of earth to himself - haven't persuaded him to plant anything yet, as he is very busy moving soil with various diggers, excavators, dumper trucks etc.  He did enjoy planting onion sets in the autumn though and is impressed each time he comes up and they have grown a bit.  He loves the allotment because he can get all muddy, and converse with the chickens in the lotty next but one!  He loved planting annual seeds in the garden last year (I did have to sneak out when he was asleep and disperse them a little more evenly though!)

Ragged Robin

• Acre
  • Slugs and snails .....be afraid.... be very afraid
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 22:25:54 »
Littl'uns been helping me in the gardy since she was 18months; is now 7; has her own plot, loves digging and playing archeologists; she is an excellent weeder, loves to prune and deadhead and likes to show off and use latin names (really impresses guests!).
Our small pot pond is a constant supply of wonder, although a tendency to name the tadpoles is sometimes a bit much.
She loves growing veg and eating it often before it reaches the kitchen and is fast becoming a vegaholic, sat watching telly  the other night with a bag of salad leaves and ate the lot!!
Happy gardening, Robin x

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 11:32:28 »
Sadly mine have just reached that......"oh no, do we have to come to the lottie" phase! But they did used to enjoy being up there with me, and actually knew where a vegetable came from! Potato harvesting time was their fave, like searching for treasure! ;D (mine too actually!) Dottie P.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal