Author Topic: Rhubarb Chutney  (Read 16228 times)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
Re: Rhubarb Chutney
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2007, 17:26:32 »
I'm so glad I found this topic. I have lots of rhubarb and love chutney!

Can't wait to make some... ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2007, 18:50:09 »
Hoorah!  Will be making mine at the weekend.  ;D

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2007, 13:22:12 »
Hello EJ

Just thought I would drop you a note to say thanks so much for the lovely recipe.  I raided my neighbours rhubarb patch (with his permission), and a promise of a bottle for him to taste and made a lovely batch on Friday night.  Prepared the rhubarb whilst watching Gardeners World.   ;D

Anway I used everything in the recipe (including the curry powder), but added a healthy pinch of mustard seed and onion seed to add to the flavour and for visual appeal.  It is really yummy - have a half bottle for tasties in a fortnight's time - if I can wait that long. ;D

Kind regards and thanks again.

Jitterbug
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 13:25:29 by Jitterbug »
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2007, 17:45:30 »
Glad this is such a popular recipe.  It does go down well.  ;D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2007, 22:05:08 »
Thanks from me too Emma. I was so concerned it would be too runny I kept stirring it too long and it has turned out very firm - but nice to spread on a chunk of cheese  :P.

Tricia

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2007, 15:32:35 »
Doesn't the year fly by? It is rhubarb chutney time again!  Just as well, have just finished last year's lot. I have just brought some of my rhubarb home from the lottie and tomorrow I will be making this years chutney. So delicious on so many things.  I am making more this year as I will be selling it at our community allotment launch in July. Thanks once again EJ!  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2007, 18:40:07 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2007, 21:34:08 »
EJ, I have just left the washing up to come on here and tell you how wonderful this tastes - just been scraping the pan!  How am I going to wait for it to mature, it's delicious!  Thank you for sharing the recipe, I am definitely going to make more... :D

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2007, 10:34:37 »
EJ, this chutney is gorgeous! I made some and am very pleased with it! ;D
I ended up opening a little jar (couldn't resist) but leaving other jars to mature for a while. I think I will make this chutney every year from now on. :)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2007, 13:26:39 »
Just had some for lunch - only managed to wait 36 hours.... :-[

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2007, 14:27:12 »
Have just made my first lot of the season - filled 4 jars of varying sizes and got a small dish cooling down (to eat soon) just love this recipe as does my d.i.l. who when pregnant, was eating it by the spoonful (last year) have to keep her supplied with it too

I've still got 3 jars left from last year's efforts but terrified of running out....flat smells wonderful ;)

H.P.

cazy

• Acre
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2007, 17:46:25 »
Made your chutney on Friday.  Absolutely delicious, thanks Emma. Only used half the salt but added a teaspoon of ground ginger.  Confession, we did try it on Sunday, couldn't wait.  Role on the next crop. :)
got a lottie got a life

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2007, 17:53:27 »
Just a reminder, a jar of your chutney Emma will be in my luggage as I fly to Spain, to enjoy with our barbies ...  :P

Derek :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2007, 19:57:31 »
Thanks for this recipe, EJ- have got loads of rhubarb, family don't eat it much and a charity sale coming up in August. Now I know what my contribution is going to be!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2007, 13:38:05 »
Making it now- basic question- do you put a lid on the pan or does this make it too runny?

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2007, 16:47:36 »
Sorry, this is too late now, but I left the lid off.  Hope you enjoy it as much as we are doing.... :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2007, 17:13:36 »
Came out ok, though I might cook it a bit longer next time. Another question- do I need to store it in the fridge or will it be alright in the cupboard?

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2007, 00:10:45 »
I store mine in a cool cupboard until it is open when it goes in the fridge.  In the winter it goes out in the garage but it is too hot out there usually in the summer, although with all this rain I imagine it would be fine! :( :(

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2007, 16:06:45 »
I cook it with the lid off so the water evaporates and makes a thicker richer chuts.  As it is poured hot into warm jars and then sealed, you should have an air tight seal which means it should last in a cool dark cupboard for yonks!  We have just opened the last jar I could find of last years, and a year on, it is AMAZING!  ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2007, 16:14:23 »
Have just got back from the lottie with some more of my rhubarb. Yes you have guessed it, more chutney making in the busy_lizzie household this afternoon.  Have bottled some for our community allotment launch, but now want some for me. Rhubarb chutters has the perfect taste....I just love it!  :P busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal