Author Topic: Rhubarb Chutney  (Read 16327 times)

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
Re: Rhubarb Chutney
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 20:14:02 »
Just thought I'd say that I made some of this a few days ago. Thought it was lovely as did Mr b but the amazing thing is that daughter, 16, who has never eaten any chutney in her life & complained about the smell of the vinegar, thought it was delicious! Thanks EJ.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2006, 22:11:31 »
Great stuff Beejay.  I worry sometimes when posting a recipe because what one person loves, another will certainly hate.  I immediately thought it was similar to Mango chutters, and then panicked that I had said that incase everyone else disagreed and hated it.  Really chuffed that so many people have made it and you all love it!  (tis great with strong cheddar and a lump of french bread!)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2006, 23:19:57 »
It really is a winner, EJ, so thanks again 8)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2006, 10:36:12 »
I echo those comments ... truly delicious.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2006, 10:55:46 »
I've made some too - 6 and a half jars.  I'm being good and leaving the 6 to mature but have already scoffed the half jar in my ham and lettuce butties.  Delish.

I also made EJ's rhubarb cake and, as predicted, the Belgians did swoon.  I shall be trying Beejay's recipe on Monday for another lot.
Obxx - Vendée France

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 17:30:02 »
So far, I've had 2 go's at making this gorgeous chutney....will be making more in the morning. Have bought myself today, one of those jam funnel's....aren't they expensive??

Must make  certain that there's sufficient over not to fill a complete jar!!...can't leave the stuff alone  :P

Thanks E.J. for recipe - have forwarded it on to my brother (near Clacton) who'se recently got his first allotment and plans to make some chutney.

H.P.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 17:47:01 »
i made my own jam/chutters funnel by cutting a plastic milk container in half and using the spout end. Turn it over and hey presto a funnel with a handle.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 18:54:20 »
What a brilliant idea Sarah - mine's not even got a handle on it and doesn't fit all my jars anyway!!.....so somewhat disappointed :(

I soooo begrudge losing the bits that drop over the side, stick to the jar or fall on the newspaper I always put underneath the lot when filling the jars!....mind you - my finger keeps scooping it up and it's a lovely way to keep 'trying it out'  ;)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 18:55:45 »
Being a cheapskate, I made my own at work from a scrap piece of stainless steel ...

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 21:47:56 »
now Curry.....if only I'd had a scrap piece of s.s. handy and presumably the right tools to bend it then 'solder' it on my kitchen worktop!!....I could have been a cheapskate too  ;D

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2006, 22:14:26 »
Planning to make the chutney - but any suggestions about which type of curry powder - any thing special or whatever is lurking in the cupboard?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 22:20:33 »
I used what was lurking....um...think it was just a standard madras mix.  I would go with what you use most often because it is then a flavour that you like.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2006, 22:26:18 »
Many thanks - off to search the cupboard -now that could be interesting!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2006, 23:09:51 »
I used a packet of garam masala (curry powder) from our local indian supermarket just up the road. Has a noticeable ginger taste, so pleasantly distinctive, rather than nonedescript.

ann hunter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2006, 15:28:46 »
Read this recipe on 26th and went straight down to pick the rhubarb.
What a fantastic recipe! I managed to 'save' a little left over to taste. Scrummy. My hubby hates rhubarb but this is soooooo like mango chutney.
Thanks! :D
when the going gets tough..........

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2006, 15:36:25 »
Gotta say, I am thrilled by all the smashing comments from you lot!  Glad it has been such a winner!  ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2006, 15:07:15 »
Just about to bottle my rhubarb chutney and I too have had a little taster and it is gorgeous!  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

blisters

• Quarter Acre
  • Dorset
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2006, 22:09:45 »
Just made some too - well pleased with it :P

Well done EJ ;D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2007, 16:35:23 »
Dragging this back up rather than starting a new topic. Just made this years batch, following Emma's recipe rather loosely, no sultanas, and all other ingredients measured by eye. The garam masala (curry powder) has quite a pronounced ginger content, and gives the chutney a delicious ginger tang, which suits it perfectly.

Got about 6 pints by eye, waiting for it to cool a bit before putting into jars. One small jar will be accompanying me to Alicante at the end of the month, for barbeques :)

Derek :)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2007, 16:40:36 »
Can report back from last year - I made it and it is absolutely delicious. Got first prize in the lottie show as well!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal