Produce > Recipes

Rhubarb Chutney

(1/14) > >>

Mrs Ava:
Still have more bubby than you know what to do with?  Like Mango Chutney?  Then you will probably like this.  It comes from a recipe which is at least 30 years old, given to me by an elderly neighbour, who was given it many years ago by an elderly friend.  This is half the original recipe as I prefer lots of variety rather than gallons of one type.

2Ib Rhubarb
1/2 Ib sultanas (I didn't use these as I don't like them in chuts)
1oz curry powder (I added just a touch more for some va va voom)
1 cup malt vinegar (I didn't have enough malt so it was 50/50 malt balsamic)
2 large onions
2Ib sugar
1 tablespoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon salt (I halved that as I am trying to keep our salt intake low)

Chop the rhubarb into small chunks and chop the onion.  Place all of the ingredients into a large preserving pan and cook slowely until everything is tender and pulpy which will take between 40 and 80 minutes.  Bottle in sterile bottles and label when cold.

Because I missed out the sultanas I added an extra onion and a couple of extra stalks of rhubarb.  It needs to mature to loose that raw curry powder taste, but what I tried was delicious and would be super with poppadoms, naans, or I reakon with a ploughmans!

Curryandchips:

--- Quote from: EJ - Emma Jane on June 13, 2006, 14:13:26 ---Still have more bubby than you know what to do with?  Like Mango Chutney?

--- End quote ---

The answer is yes to both, I have an idea that this will go down rather well, particularly since we consume vast quantities of curry-like foods ...

The only alteration I will make is to adjust the sugar to half-spoon or similar, for my diabetic daughter (she adores mango chutney).

Thank you ...

pakaba:
Sounds delicious.  I LOVE mango chut and have ALOT of rhubarb on the lottie and have no idea what to do with it... all i need now are some jars, we have just recycled aload this morning :P  Will i get moaned at on freecycle if i ask for any ???

P.

Mrs Ava:
I can't see why you would get moaned at pakaba.  I know people who save massses of jars but never use them all.

Just wanted to add, please don't shout or moan if the finished chutters isn't like your impression of mango chuts.  I have been told off before when posting recipes.  In my opinion, mine is like mango chuts, similar colour, sweet and sour like flavour, curry zip.

Curryandchips:

--- Quote from: EJ - Emma Jane on June 13, 2006, 14:34:10 ---I have been told off before when posting recipes.

--- End quote ---

You leave me virtually speechless Emma ... I cannot imagine why people should be critical of those who take the time and effort to put posts up. I suppose it takes all sorts, and some people seem intent on putting others down.

Rest assured, I am very grateful for your contributions (and those of others too), and long may it continue  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version