Author Topic: Wormery  (Read 12958 times)

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:Wormery
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2004, 14:09:03 »
We tend to move ours around -note to self move worm bin. In the shade for the summer, greenhouse when it's cold and in the sun for spring. They eat more when they're warm (not hot), and don't like being frozen or drowned.

Jeremy

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2004, 08:06:28 »
Finally done it, after months of faffing about - I now have a worm bin, worms and all.  Made as advised on this thread.  It has taken me so long to get organised the original red boxes have been purloined by various members of the family and I've now had to get some more - sophisticated black!  I've put it in the shade so they won't get too hot, and I'm looking forward to them chomping away. Note to self: stop lifting carpet lid and watching them, they are not pets!

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2004, 08:24:58 »
Well done Ceri :D My boxes have lingered in the shed for about4 months and it doesnt look as though Ill have time to do much with them this summer... Any tips for insulating the boxes..... would a few layers of bubble wrap be enough ???
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2004, 08:44:05 »
for the winter, I plan to stick all the boxes inside a huge cardboard box - like the ones washing machines come in, and fill the gap between the cardboard and the wormery with newspaper/bubble wrap, whatever I've got.  I just went to a local fishing tackle shop and, although the worms are quite expensive - £1.25 for 15, I did a bit of my "I need a discount and I won't go until I've got one" act very nicely and got a bulk discount!  

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2004, 16:54:16 »
That is so funny Ceri, as my original boxes are also in various parts of the house and garden, without a worm in sight! I MUST get on and make it!! (maybe I shall go for black this time as well!)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2004, 23:31:56 »
Well, Ava finally arrived home with said boxes last week.  They are now in the shed awaiting construction.  One has already been pinched by number one son to keep his toy soldiers in!  Note to self - must keep reminding Ava.  Note to Ceri - I know the kids and I will be lifting the carpet regularly to check on progress - they are pets, or at least, that is what I will tell number one daughter as she really wants a pet at the moment!  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2004, 23:38:17 »
You've got ants in your compost, she can have a whole colony of pets! :o ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2004, 23:52:09 »
True, never thought of that.  She keeps telling me she wants a pet with legs as fish don't count as pets.  Just think how many legs there are in that any collony - millions!  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2004, 08:52:09 »
  ;D  ;D  ;D And they have eggs too!! :o

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2004, 09:36:13 »
Just remember to keep the ants and worms apart -ants like worms, for breakfast!

Woodlice on the other hand are OK, as are vinegar flies (ok with the worms that is -how you feel about it may be different ???).

Jeremy
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 12:20:49 by derbex »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2004, 11:58:51 »
My plastic riddles-to-be-wormeries are still waiting for me to make a start. (Must try and beat EJ to it; Can't let these women take over altogether!) Well done Ceri, (that's my sister's name) any chance of a pic or two?

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2004, 16:28:36 »
Hi Ken - no to the piccies as I don't know how and my learning curve has bottomed out at the moment!

Not a lot is happening in there (what did I expect I wonder!).  I left them for a week or so in about 4" bedding with a tiny bit of lettuce on top.  Nothing happened for a while, but the lettuce has finally disappeared so I've put some blackcurrant leaves and broad bean pods in.  I think they "eat" the bedding before they will get stuck in to the new stuff.  Still seem to be alive though - so my run on small pets is better than it used to be (goldfish)!

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2004, 16:49:58 »
Ceri, it does take a while for them to get going -how many did you buy? Once they mature they'll eat more and start breeding. Eventually they seem to find an equilibrium between their numbers and the amount of food you put in.

Jeremy

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2004, 08:00:32 »
I've got a hundred or so.  I read that they 'eat' up to half their body weight per day - unfortunately didn't weigh them!  I'll keep watching and reporting.  It's very funny watching my NGOH and NGdaughter skirt round the wormery - like the worms are going to jump out!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2004, 08:46:19 »
Would it make a difference if added food was first minced up a bit or doesn't it matter?

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2004, 09:51:02 »
now there's a good idea.  While I'm not putting on solid pieces as such, a good chop of them may well make things a bit quicker.  I'll experiment!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2004, 11:44:36 »
I have an old fashioned mincer, one of those that screws to a table top. When I get underway (after my UK trip) I'll set to with building. Promise. (I said that back in March.) Might even be able to pick-up some brandlings in England, can't find any here.

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2004, 11:44:50 »
Ken, I think what they want is soft, I do slice brassica stalks and spuds up a bit but they seem to cope otherwise. I think most things get to the right stage of decomposition at some point -except for avocado shells -which are what they should have tiled the space shuttle with! Tea bags take a long time to go -I've taken to tearing them open and tipping the contents out.

They are not supposed to like citrus & onion peel as it is too acid, although a little bit shouldn't harm. They seem to like a bit of roughage and I gave them some paper shreddings earlier this year when, it got a bit too damp in there and there were lots of white thread worms.

Our kit came with some lime mix (maybe ash of some sort) and some 'worm treat' -looks like muesli to me! They get some very occaisionaly -about once a year.

Jeremy

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2004, 21:42:07 »
Thanks D;..When I get it going I'll chew the food first, that should make it soft enough!

derbex

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2004, 10:52:40 »
 :) -reading what I wrote I'm not sure I was too clear. Bung the stuff in as soon as you've got it, however hard it is, while it's in the bin it will soften up to the extent that the worms will eat it. I only chop the big stuff up so that they can get at it easily. They'll eat pretty much anything, really.

Jeremy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal