Author Topic: 'odd' tomato flowers  (Read 8788 times)

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
Re: 'odd' tomato flowers
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 14:45:41 »
hi
Myrtle, what variety are the toms in the picture.....is that this years?   certainly a very unusual tomato. ;D  I am growing CF for the first time this year and they are just flowering now.  I have noticed that they have one very large flower bud surrounded by smaller ones that are just opeining and are normal, i wonder if the large flower bud is a funny one??? I have never hd this before with toms so i will be keeping an even closer eye on them.

this is OT but i notice that you use string to support your toms how do you do this, wind the tom round the string as it grows or visa versa?

Paula
reduce, re-use, recycle.

amphibian

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2006, 11:16:48 »
I feel left out.

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2006, 14:37:37 »
My Costoluto seems to have developed double flowers--be interesting to see what grows.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 14:49:43 »
That flower actually looks mildly cristate. SDo a search for my thread on 'Cristate Dandelion' from a while back if you're not sure what that is. I've ben wondering if these were monstrous or cristate flowers (a monstrous plant is where the growing poing constantly divides; a cristate is where it develops into a line).

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 15:04:06 »
Interesting--its only one flower on one truss (I think) so hopefully it won't have much of an effect (hopefully)

amphibian

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 16:11:21 »
(a monstrous plant is where the growing poing constantly divides; a cristate is where it develops into a line).

A monstrous plant that would be a massive scary one, I think you mean monstrose  ;)

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 16:12:16 »
I have one wierd flower on my Lostolotto Florantino (I think I have got that right) I have not grown this variety before so don't know if it's an old variety or anything about it.  The other 12 varieties in my greenhouse are all making normal flowers. I look forward to seeing if it makes a super tomato !

Tinkie_Bear

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 01:56:19 »
I've got one too!

Just noticed a large flower bud developing on one of my Costoluto Fiorentino plants. 

Remembered the title of this thread, came in for a look see, and 'yup', descriptions seem to match.

amphibian

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2006, 22:48:55 »
I too now have some of these weird flowers, including a triple one.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2006, 14:47:45 »
All my Black from Tula plants have strange flower bud too. They haven't changed for a good few weeks now, there's no sign of them flowering.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2006, 15:30:16 »
I've got them on my Costoluto Fiorentina too.    ;D    They look very much like a Coltsfoot flower.

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2006, 20:00:21 »
I've got them on Costoluto Fiorentina, and also on Black Krim - common feature of (almost) all the varieties mentioned so far is that they are beefsteak types. 

Maybe as they are so beefsteaked up it is a hormonal ( ??? or steroidal ??? ;D) thing?

I've allowed them to fruit and got weird shaped toms from them, but having that I have also had to allow a side shoot to grow on to achieve further vertical growth.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2006, 23:00:13 »
Hi
Some of my odd flowers on CF have fallen off, the others are producing funny shaped toms, should i pick these off.... I have plenty of other toms set, infact i am wondering how the plant is going to support so much fruit on one truss, especially as they are beefsteak.

paula
reduce, re-use, recycle.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2006, 12:24:34 »
I've got them on my Costoluto Fiorentina too.    ;D    They look very much like a Coltsfoot flower.

Here is a picture of one of the tomatoes which developed from one of the weird flowers.  I picked it off as the others on the same truss were normal and large so I thought it would give them more room to develop.

amphibian

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2006, 18:16:38 »
Has anyone else experienced this: the main stem has terminated at a truss, topped with one of the odd flowers, but one of the trusses little shoots has produced new stem instead of a flower. On one of my Gregory Altai the main stem is briefly a truss, before becoming the main stem again.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2006, 18:32:37 »
Put it all down to GM??

gerbera

• Half Acre
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2006, 19:30:29 »
My Gregori Altai has developped one of the strange flowers at the end of a perfectly normal truss. Should I remove it....or wait for the strange fruit to develop?

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2006, 13:10:58 »
Picked my first ripe Costoluto Fiorentina of the year yesterday, and it was one of those wierd shaped ones from the big flower......  carved it and boned it (well took out all the strange green stems) and it tasted luvverly.

p.s. Amphibian
quite a few of my toms have grown new shoots from the end of trusses, I just snip them off.  With the big flower, if it does terminate the main stem, just allow a side-shoot to develop & train it up a cane.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2006, 18:07:50 »
Funnily enough my "ugly" CF is the first one to start ripening. It has started a trend though, there are 5 more varieties that have started to change colour today.

Is there anything (other than food + water) that I can do to help them ripen quicker  - I am getting impatient to start trying the different varieties!

Helen

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal