Produce > Non Edible Plants

evergreen? penstemons

(1/3) > >>

aquilegia:
My penstemons are still growing, covered in leaves and some even have flowers on them.

Is that normal? I thought they were supposed to be slightly tender. Mum gave me them as cuttings and thought they might not survive the winter.

They are against an east-ish facing wall, but don't get much sun in the winter (my garden is smaller than the long winter shadows cast by the fence!) and it's in greater London.

But still, I'd have expected them to die back at least a little!

The gardener:
This is pretty normal.

But saying that..........if the weather men have got there sums right  I just wonder how hardy they are, and will they tolerate the temperatures that have been forecast?

My ones  have stood it the last few years and I am 900 ft above sea level here in the Pennines, so I think yours will stand a better chance than mine.

It is normal to leave the tops on over the winter as these protect the young growth that might now be emerging.

Pretty soon the will want last years growth cutting to the floor.

Theres a bit more information on them in my website.

Muddy_Boots:
Hi Aqui,

Down here in East Kent, found that all my penstemons survived the winters, even through hard frost.  As the gardener says, I did not cut them down before winter, more by luck than judgement, as they just kept on flowering!

Tended to tidy up around March time.  I am just amazed at how many different kinds there are.  Definitely one of my favourite flowers!

Good luck but, as you are in London, you may well find it similar to down here.

Kate

Ragged Robin:
I'm in  london and mine usually survive the winter; however mine have a tendency to get very woody very quickly so take lots of cuttings to maintain a supply.  

Debs:
Funny that, because mine in my garden are still green and healthy.. and I'm in the north-east !!

They're easy to grow frm seed- that's how I raised mine.

Debs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version