Author Topic: Tomatos - Little white flies  (Read 1944 times)

Pete the Plot

• Not So New ...
  • Just a (sailor)boy then!
Tomatos - Little white flies
« on: June 06, 2006, 20:38:19 »
I moved my tomato plants that I have reared from seed into larger (ex-florist) pots.
Went back next evening and lots of small white flies take off when the plants are disturbed. :(
There was no sign of these flies when I potted them on, and they have been reared in the same place (greenhouse).
What are they ??? - Should I worry ??? - Should I do something ??? - What ???
Pete (beginner ::))
Only one thing wrong with school.
It gets in the way of children's education!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Tomatos - Little white flies
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 21:52:01 »
As replied elsewhere - Whitefly. Bit of a sod to get rid of I'm afraid, but the harm they do is minimal.
I have a swarm in a Darlek where brassicas have been composting (they love 'em). Have sprayed every visit, but they breed so often!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 23:41:31 »
I'm getting a touch of de ja vu (been here before).  What we have been doing for the past few years is planting french marigolds in the containers we have been growing tomatoes.  This system of 'companion planting' has seemed to work for us, insofaras we have not been troubled with whitefly on our tomato crop.

valmarg

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 20:44:05 »
Good thinking!!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 17:26:30 »
On the other hand - and just to be His advocate -

1. The fact that there are no fly with Marigolds does not mean that they work.  I know that they are supposed to, but we can never get them in flower in time & for long enough. And that's another thing to water! And even without them, we have never had whitefly. Oh, God - what have I said!!

2. There are organic fatty acid sprays that can help.

3. As can yellow 'trappits' - close down to the plants.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 23:38:14 »
Sorry tim, but I don't understand your comment re marigolds being 'in flower  in time' .  The efficiency of the companion planting has nothing to do with their being in flower at the same time.  Purely by planting the marigolds in the same container as the tomato plant, the marigolds are supposed to give off a substance that whitefly do not like, which is taken up into the tomato plants.  No additional watering is necessary.  You water the tomato pots, and at the same time water the marigolds.

I would never ever use the yellow 'trappits', as they may trap the whitefly, but they would also trap the good insects, such as hoverflies, lacewings etc.

valmarg

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 05:37:44 »
1. Oh! You learn every day.  Much is made of their colour?

2. I have to agree there. Shouldn't have mentioned them! Glad you did.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 06:41:44 by tim »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 20:21:15 »
I had clouds of whitefly in the greenhouse, mostly in the squash patch under the leaves, but also in the toms. Following a link posted here I got some encarsia (little wasps that eat whitefly) two weeks ago, and they are being sent to me every two weeks for five 'courses'. The whitefly are already nearly gone! First time here for biological control, I'm well impressed :D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 18:31:13 »
Do agree with the bio approach - we've used it often - the downside is that the temperature has to be just right before you can let the killers in.

Given that caveat, order them ASAP - they take a while to come & then a good while to get established.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal