Produce > Non Edible Plants

Are my Fuschias Dead?

<< < (2/2)

aquilegia:
My mum's a fuchsia freak, so I know lots about them. She puts hers in the unheated greenhouse over winter and all the leaves drop off. I don't think she waters them - they stay damp enough. They are deciduous so will go to sleep over winter. Mine have done this too, but I confident they will come back again in the spring. One of mine has already started sprouting!

I did once make the mistake of cutting one right back too early and that killed it.

Garden Manager:
Because the climate of my garden has been so mild this winter, my half hardies stayed out intil december, hwen i brought them in trimmed them up and put one of each variety in a cool outbuilding, the rest in one of these 'mini greenhouses' by the house wall. I even have a couple still outside in wall pots fitted to the house wall. All are still fine, the ones inside are shooting already (often do when its mild), and the ones in the wall pots still have leaves on them!  All this in spite of the recent cold spell.

I have heard somewhere that in the southwest certain half hardy fuschias can survive outdoors through the winter, if they are planted in the ground and not in a pot. I havent checked but i think i have such a fuschia planted in the garden, a relic of a summer bedding display, which last time I saw it was starting to grow.

Of course in colder parts of the country it would be madness to leave such plants out, unless you didnt want them anymore. In such areas, always treat them as tender.

teresa:
Hi WetandCold,
Your fushias will be fine but please dont water them untill the weather warms up in the spring.
They will have a better chance of surviving in dry compost through the winter this will protect the roots and the base of the main stem.
If you wait untill they start into growth repot them in new compost and then water them you dont damage the new feeding roots they will make then get some provado which is a vineweevil killer it is also good for white fly treat them twice a year and plants will be ok.
My fushias, standards and specials in semi heated greenhouse. Bush uprights in unheated greenhouse with bubble plastic and trailing boxed up in peat I LOVE my fushias I put them to bed and leave them alone seems to work fine for me. good luck

wetandcold:
Thanks for all your help and advice - my marriage might be saved ;)

Now, must go and get on with the ironing...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version