Author Topic: Homeless starlings  (Read 1328 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Homeless starlings
« on: June 06, 2006, 23:32:11 »
Every year since living in our current home we have had starlings nesting in our roof.  This week we have had new soffits and facias fitted and the fitters removed a sack full of starling nest, and all of their mess - 6 years worth!  The new facias have brushes and no holes so the starlings will have to find a new nesting site next spring - I will miss them, the babies are so funny when they first fledge.  A relief though as my Uncle had a nest in his roof and the parents vanished leaving a nest full of babies...these soon died and started to decompose.  He ended up with alsorts of bugs and flies in his loft.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: Homeless starlings
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 08:32:31 »
I know it's not nice to know you have made wildlife homeless, especially as we do so much to promote it seems via this site.  I had my roof done over the winter and turfed out swift and sparrow nesting sites.  They have all found alternative accomodation nearby as most of us in the terrace provide food, cover and a safe haven for wildlife.  It's too good an environment for them to clear off totally, so as long as you do what you can to generally promote the local wildlife, I'm sure they will find somewhere nearby.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: Homeless starlings
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 08:39:05 »
I have the same problem, I intend blocking the holes as soon as the starlings have left.  At the moment there is still young in the nest(s) being fed, anyone know when I can expect them to leave.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal