Author Topic: Gourmet slugs  (Read 1778 times)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Gourmet slugs
« on: June 04, 2006, 23:10:14 »
I decided to grow all my climbing beans alternately in the row this year as I have red,white,apricot and purple flowering beans and it will look nice. All varieties were planted at the same time. Imagine my surprise to find every 6th bean munched ( Cherokee Trail of Tears ). You'd think the little blighters would be glad of whatever they can get without picking out one variety!

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: Gourmet slugs
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 23:14:56 »
You'd think the little blighters would be glad of whatever they can get without picking out one variety!

;D ;D  I know what you mean, the pesky critters on our site seem to have a definate preference for french beans and completely ignore the runners. ???

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 23:33:27 »
Mine eat the melon seedlings and ignore the courgettes!

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 23:34:59 »
Melon, zinnia, sunflowers, marigolds, courgettes, pumpkins. Don't know what the answer is.  :(

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 23:53:51 »
Not just any melons. They've also ignored my Persian melons and honeydew but gone for both Yellow Canary.

Sunflowers - 4 Mammoth Russian all untouched, 2 Craven 99 both destroyed.

My 3rd and last Craven 99 sunflower seed has been sown in a mound of eggshell, coffee grounds and soot inside a ring of copper and a moat of beer.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 23:58:01 by djbrenton »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 13:12:51 »
Same here, last year they left the Lakeland Lettuce alone, but ate the others such as all year round and Lolla Rossa, this year complete reverse, are they that selective or is it just that I took less care of the Lakeland thinking they were less appetising?
 ???

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 13:28:11 »
yep, all my "Soissons" climbing french beans were munched and so far none of the other climbing ones... grrr... I have resowed them and added more slug pellets (surrounded by mesh, so birds cannot get the dead slugs)

mat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal