Author Topic: Shallots  (Read 1856 times)

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
Shallots
« on: March 16, 2004, 22:31:31 »
Bought my shallots and read on the packet 'plant when risk of frost has passed'.  I thought shallots were supposed to go in really early?  My Gran quoted something about planting out on the shortest day and harvesting on the longest... i know i've missed that but surely they need to go in before May?!? :-\

Sparky

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Shallots
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 22:35:06 »
hhhmmm...mine went in ages ago.....but then thats what the pack said.....I guess, as with all things, different varieties have different needs.  If you can provide protection, like a chloche or fleece, I guess now is the time to get them out.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 07:30:01 »
Get 'em in quick!
No need for fleece, but it will stop the birds pulling the things out? = Tim

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 10:18:54 »
There's an old saying that shallots go in on the shortest day and are harvested on the longest.
I usually put mine in around the end of Feb or first week of March, and I cover them -just- with soil.
(Thanks to John -below- for picking me up on my deliberate -of course- mistake!)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 12:10:40 by kenkew »

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 11:48:15 »
Er, Ken, I think you've got that the wrong way around. Plant on the shortest and harvest on the longest is what I have always read. I've never grown shallots so I'm quite open to correction. This site gives a brief but thorough overview of the biology of shallots:  http://oregonstate.edu/Dept/NWREC/shallot.html.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 14:53:18 »
Just looked in the Tuckers seed catalogue - says you can plant up to the end of April. Some varieties are for overwintering (got Jermor in myself), but Sante should be planted mid-April - says in a difficult season, planting earlier may result in bolting; others sown mid Feb to end of April.

If a heavy frost is forecast, then use protection - fleece or something...

Boxing Day is supposed to be the traditional day for sowing Onions (perhaps this is for show as Kelsae, the big thing, should be sown Dec-Jan)
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 16:13:19 »
Mine all started sprouting in early February, so I ended up planting them in modules and putting them in the cold frame, transferred them to the bed a fortnight ago and they were already several inches high in leaf!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal