Author Topic: white fluff on gooseberries  (Read 4617 times)

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
white fluff on gooseberries
« on: June 04, 2006, 15:56:32 »
I've just taken over a plot with some magnificent gooseberry bushes, and while I was inspecting them yesterday I noticed that a few of the berries are covered in white fluffy mouldy stuff. Are they doomed?

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: white fluff on gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 18:32:40 »
Probably American Gooseberry Mildew. Prune bushes in winter to an open goblet shape, spray if you're not organic with a fungicide.

(Pain in the neck to me - I'm organic and there's not a lot I can do once it hits!)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 21:55:39 »
Thats probably it then because they won't have been pruned for years. I'll look forward to being sliced to ribbons in the winter!

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 22:11:33 »
Is it a bit like white powder on the new leaves?If It looks like that is a sign of not correct fertilization. I always gave my gooseberries  some nitrogen and some potassium every year to avoid mildew. May be that will help ??? ???

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 23:20:57 »
I know this is probably a really daft thing to say, but don't forget young goosegogs are hairy.  Just wanted to make sure you weren't mistaking hairy baby gooesgogs for baby poorly goosegogs.  :-\

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 21:49:38 »
they are definitely poorly, the affected berries are mushy. Noticed it on other bushes around the plots too, on the unpruned ones. Need to get in there and give 'em a good cutting back.

misterphil

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 11:24:03 »
I remember reading something in one of Bob Flowerdew's books: Basically, if you pick them now and tumble them in a container with water and something a bit abraisive to wash it off, they can then be used for cooking - I'm off to the allotment on Saturday to bleed and collect my whole crop to make jam with because of this pesky fluffy stuff.

A watering can of bordeaux mixture does seem to bave halted it's progress however, and has prevented it spreading to another bush, but I need the berries from that for jam making anyway ...
The problem with being an IT teacher is that all those kids get in the way of my interaction with the computers.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 18:54:49 »
They do make great jam don't they! As berry Winham's industry is my favourite but it does suffer from Mildew...
  :(

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 19:03:06 »
Dig 'em up and get yourself some of these, you'll save yourself allot of messing about for not much reward  ;)

http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/product.aspx?id=ROKULA

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 20:39:38 »
Didn't realise it was so bad, should I really start jamming?

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 21:29:06 »
The best prevention is NOT to give too much nitrogen. Pick off & burn affected shoots, and spray in midsummer with a mixture of 1/2 lb.soft soap/1 lb. washing soda in 5 galls. water.
Good luck!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 23:10:42 »
Somehow the thought of eating something that has been covered with soap & washing soda puts me off a bit  :-\

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 20:53:11 »
M.T.
It's called help?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

misterphil

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 12:54:11 »
Have just finished making 10 lbs of jam (Yummy!) - added some elderflower for extra flavour.

The whole crop bar 10 or so were really mildewed. I got a bag that my wife uses for washing delicate fabrics (looks like a fine net bag) and loaded them into that with a large handful of gravel. Put them in the machine for a 1hr wash (no detergent) and managed to salvage around 60% of the crop straight off (all the really small ones were wasted) and boosted that up to around 75% with a bit of judicious topping and tailing.

This winter I'll prune heavily and see what happens - they are thicker than most hedges at the moment, and obviously have never seen a pair of secateurs!

PS, just finished off 15 lbs of rhubarb jam too!
The problem with being an IT teacher is that all those kids get in the way of my interaction with the computers.

maureen

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 19:31:30 »
I have goosberrie bushes, But this year I was struck with goosberrie sawfly..never encountered this before we have had our goosberrie bushes for five years .,we take cuttings every two years,,goosberry sawfly is a horrendous threat to goosberies and currant bushes they almost took out the  young goosberries bushes ate all the leaves  till it was almost bare happened overnight..so look out for this pest and be prepared watch your redcurrants and your flowering ornamental redcurrants bushes..they look like a small catapiller..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal