Author Topic: Watering  (Read 1185 times)

ksia

• Quarter Acre
  • Mayenne, France
Watering
« on: June 03, 2006, 21:41:21 »
I'm sure I've read somewhere that when watering tomatoes one should avoid watering the leaves...but if I'm watering in the evening with no scorching sun can I not send my hose pipe over them like the other plants?

We're lucky enough to have a well so, depending on the weather, we give the garden a good watering every so often but I'm always saying 'avoid the tomatoes!' and running around watering them carefully with a can. And then I'm starting to think ...well what about aubergines or cucumbers or ...?!

All these plants are outside, so get rained on(sometimes!) so surely they can cope with a watering.

What do you think? What do you do?
Thanks
Karen

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
Re: Watering
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 22:05:35 »
Hi Ksia,
The only reason I know of to not water the leaves would be the sun scorch but even then, I think if it is that hot, they will be dry again before any damage is done.

The only reason I don't water mine with the hose is that I seem to nourish the ground around them for (more!) weeds to grow.  When I get the kids do the watering for me, they use the hose and no harm has ever come to them. :D

I am trying a new method with my toms this year by not watering them at all!
Apparently, if you give them enough space - about 2' either way, they get their roots deep down until they find water and don't need to be watered!

As a precaution though, I have planted upturned 2 litre bottles (with the bottoms cut off) next to each plant so I can give them an emergency boost if I think I am going to lose them!

Also, to save losing water to the atmosphere, you need to create a 'dust mulch' by doing lots of hoeing.

As I live in the South and am under threat of 'drought regulations', I thought it a good year to give this a try!

All the best,
Donna.
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 23:15:24 »
I always believed you shouldn't water the leaves of tomatoes otherwise you may cause problems resulting from dampness e.g. blight.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 23:20:26 »
Blight spores can only stick if there is dampness on the leaves.  For blight to spread it requires a highis ambient temprature, high humidity and wet leaves to stick to.  Blight is a big issue so it is wise to avoid getting the leaves wet.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 23:21:29 »
This can happen but mainly it is only when the plants are very close together and there is not enough space for the air to flow between them. 

Also the bottom leaves should be taken off as soon as they start to look old and sad because blight is caused when the (blight) spores splash up from the soil on to the leaves so by taking the bottom ones off, there is less chance of this happening.

Donna  ;D
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal