Author Topic: Self-Blanching Celery  (Read 1559 times)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Self-Blanching Celery
« on: June 02, 2006, 21:44:58 »
I was given some self-blanching celery plants which I have duly planted.  However, I just caught the end of Monty talking about celery and planting his in blocks and I've shoved mine in a row!

Is there a reason for block planting celery and if so is it to do with blanching??
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Self-Blanching Celery
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 22:32:14 »
I believe it is, but it has always puzzled me because you would have to plant them really close to make them blanch proplerly....wouldn't you?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 22:34:32 »
Here you go, lifted this from the RHS website:

Self-blanching celery can also be planted out towards the end of the month. A well-prepared site with lots of organic matter dug in is essential. Planting celery in blocks aids the blanching process, as does placing a strip of plastic around the edge of the block to exclude some light and further improve the pale colour and sweetness of the blanched stems.

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 15:10:34 »
So it's self-blanching but still needs help blanching!!!   :-\

Will earthing up as it grows have the same effect - I'm loath to disturb them now they've been in a few days?

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 18:05:37 »
i always plant in blocks with straw all the way round the outside of the plants

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 18:13:06 »
I guess you could earth them, the same as you would trench celery.  Or you could loosely tie them with string, or I have heard people wrapping card around them, but I would worry about sluggies on my allotment.  Mine aren't really in a block but in 2 short rows.  I will use straw as I have lashings.

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 21:56:57 »
i saw someone at the allotment using tin cans with both ends removed last year, may be worth a go.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 23:04:44 »
To improve the length of white stem on my leeks I have used lengths of plastic pipe, they would probably do for the celery, I tneded to use 10" lengths...
 ;D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 06:18:26 »
From EJ`s quote I guess you could put strip of wood along each side of the row.....

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 08:42:12 »
Thank you everyone for your ideas    ;D     ...............but I am still confused - if it is self-blanching do I need to do all this covering up?  Has anyone any experience of growing self-blanching without covering?

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 09:33:51 »
I grew self blanching in two rows. Some of the stems were lovely although a little stringy and others were dry inside. But I put that down to lack of watering rather than not being blanched. I think you'll be okay without blanching, particularly if you intend to use the celery for cooking but you won't get as tender celery stems. If you were to block them from sun you'll get a better tasting crop for eating fresh.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 20:12:05 »
Hi Amanda.  Which celery are you trying?  I'm growing Lathom self-blanching in pots and I have no intention of shading it from the sun.  Like you I chose self-blanching for a reason.   ;D  Perhaps we could compare notes?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 22:23:35 »
Georgie - sorry I don't know the variety as I was given the plants but I shall enquire and let you know.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal