Author Topic: Whew! Flaming June!!  (Read 1550 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Whew! Flaming June!!
« on: June 02, 2006, 16:25:37 »
Can't belive it the weather is fantastic!  Went up to the lottie today in a wooly coat expecting the cold wind again, but it was roasting.  Wish I had worn my sunhat and taken some sun block, as when I left felt really frazzled, with a face like a very red beetroot.  Is this the start of summer at last?  I am hardening off my squash tonight and will put them out on Sunday - this is the weather I have been waiting for!  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Whew! Flaming June!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 16:45:58 »
Oh how I wish it was here..................no sun  as promised, not that warm either. It just has to improve tomorrow. To add insult to injury some nasty person has helped themselves to a tray of Marigolds and some broccoli seedlings from my plot !!! (silly twit for leaving them). ::)
Never mind, I'm praying for a bit of sun very soon................... ;D ;D ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 19:06:39 »
Lovely start today, then went cloudy, but cleared later on and has been absolutely gorgeous out there, ahhhhhh I love this weather! :)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 19:10:39 »
I have been on holiday this week, so have seen a wide spectrum of weather ... I want more of this though, I need to acclimatise for my Turkish holiday in 5 weeks time !
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 21:43:29 »
To add insult to injury some nasty person has helped themselves to a tray of Marigolds and some broccoli seedlings from my plot !!! (silly twit for leaving them). ::)
Never mind, I'm praying for a bit of sun very soon................... ;D ;D ;D

>:( I just cannot get my head round that  >:( how could a lottie member lower them selves to such a degree to do such a dastardly deed? Worse than the vandals I say >:(

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 07:29:39 »
Roy, I don't doubt for one minute that the culprit was a 'passer through'.
My lottie neighbours have shown nothing but friendship and kindness since
I joined up! Even the Bearded Wonder is helping more although he always says after every visit "well that's it, not coming again".(but he has volunteered to creosote the shed today) ;D ;D
Weather better here today in Essex, can't wait to get outside, all else can wait.  :D :D :D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 10:33:55 »
Emaggie Sorry to hear about the scum bag who helped themselves to your plants.
Had lovely weather here in March yesterday and today is absolutely brilliant (so far) Have done my shopping just having a cuppa then spending another whole day in the garden (I hope).
Lorna

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 10:59:48 »
Thanks Lorna, worse things happen at sea as my Mum used to say ! ;D
Just done the same as you,cuppa in the garden, then a good day gardening too.
Maggie. :D :D :D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 20:09:36 »
To put it politely I am cream crackered. Been in garden all day. Put some wood preservative on the new trellis and the garden seat  Did some weeding, sorted greenhouse still got to water baskets and tubs out front but the sun is still shining brightly. Son popped in and fitted the new trellis to garage wall for me so that clematis will now have somewhere to climb. Where does the time go? Still I am really pleased and the pain killers kept the sciatica at bay ;D ;D
Hope you have all had  a brilliant day.
Lorna.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 09:21:35 »
was a fantastic brilliant and sunny day yesterday.

got bored  :o out on the plottie, so headed towards the front garden to dig and weed the border...........had to lift loads of white chuckies first though (why DO people just lay chuckies on bare earth to let loads of weeds and grass take hold ?).

anyway they made a nice hardcore for the final path that runs up the side of the greenhouse but the tips of my fingers are so sore with scooping them all up.  high cloud atm so hopefully once that burns off we'll get more of yesterday's sun.

you can almost see everything growing as soon as we get a bit of heat.

sorry about the marigolds and brocolli, they're need must have been great indeed.   ::)

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 17:35:31 »
Luckily they weren't THE marigolds, Mrskp. They are having V.I.M. treatment in a tub at home.

(Maybe they liked the trays ;D ;D)

plimsoll plot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 18:24:27 »
only went to water my plot today as i busted my foot saturday and have trouble walking on it but the plants were needing a drink , everyone helped when they saw me in pain trying to collect water, just shows how nice people are down on our allotment , thanks guys just hope i can do the same for u at some point. with there help i was able to soon have my foot up resting.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 20:09:39 »
Sorry to hear about the foot, PP. It's not 'till you have to do without something that you realise how much you rely on it.
Hope it mends PDQ and you can enjoy the summer. ;) ;)

plimsoll plot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 20:21:14 »
:-*thanks i hope so o i have loads to do

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 22:25:10 »
Call me stupid. No really I mean VERY stupid.

I was all dressed up with no place to go on Friday. Lovely weather,OH off work,we went out and ended up at the lotty! (Takes me to all the best places.) My daughter and I were dressed for summer though she was covered up more than me and had factor 30 on. I had a backless top on,felt a bit of heat on the shoulders and applied suncream... too late...now I have a very sore sunburned back and feel like a prize idiot..especially as my ex husband had a malignant melanoma which had to be gouged out of his waist.

Please please please watch yourselves in the sun...even when it seems cooler .  Apply the cream before you set out.

Sorry about your theft emaggie...the scumbags!

Ouch your poor foot plimsoll.  Hope it heals (haha) fast for you.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 22:39:52 »
I keep a pot of factor 40 in the shed. By 'pot' I mean an old 35mm film canister! They're about the right size for an emergency application or a top-up.

I had factor 60 on yesterday and today (as well as my enormous sunhat) and I've still gone rather pinkish... ah the joys of being redblonde and having pale, freckley, moley skin...  when I think how I used to get burned every summer as a kid - ouch! They just didn't have the protection in those days!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal