Author Topic: Wouldn't have believed this.........  (Read 1889 times)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Wouldn't have believed this.........
« on: June 02, 2006, 11:52:21 »
If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

I was at the lottie all day yesterday and so took some lunch with me.  Then as usual, I became engrossed in what I was doing and forgot about the Ginster's cornish pasty in the carrier bag by the shed.

I was at the far end of the plot, digging out and preparing the pumpkin mounds and kept hearing tearing and rustling noises but couldn't see anything.............then went back to the shed and there's my lunch all over the path - humph - and in broad daylight.

I left the remains and went a hid behind the blackberry hedge and then he appeared.......a big, HUGE crow to finish off my lunch :o :o, but he wasn't too keen on the pieces of swede ;D

I know that these birds are bright, but to hop over to the carrier bag, check out the contents, choose the pasty, break into the wrapper and then munch, when there is lots of human activity nearby is amazing.

Anything similar happened to anyone else??

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
Re: Wouldn't have believed this.........
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 12:21:59 »
never had that happen to me, shame you didn't have a camera handy to capture the moment :)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 19:38:19 »
and another one.

I carefully netted the strawbs as soon as the fruit start to turn pink and for a while all was well.  Then....I noticed the lots of fruits had been 'got at' but put this down to slugs as I was confident that the strawbs were bird proof.

I had a hour at the plot this afternoon - a spot of turbo hoeing and watering before the school run.  I looked up and noticed a Thursh on a dug but yet to planted bed, I was expecting it to start pecking about and maybe throw some dust around.  Instead, it had a furtive look left and right, sized up the gap and darted under the netting to have a go at my strawberries :o :o :o

Fortunately, no one else was around to watch my performance ;D - I didn't want to alarm it so much that it flew up into the netting but I didn't want it munching my strawbs either.  The Thrush wasn't fazed at all, just hopped out and then flew off. >:(

Both beds are now a fortress of bricks holding down the netting - no more bird shaped gaps - grrr. and of course no camera with me...........but it did happen - honest

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 20:38:04 »
turbo hoeing

;D ;D ;D I must remember that phrase, it's something I do often :)

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 22:27:39 »
I worked as for Mcdonald's, and was sitting in my office one day when a crow caught my eye. He was sitting on the litter bin pushing it open with his beak and pulling out bags of disgarded food and eating what he wanted. He must have been watching people open the bins and practised copying them.

I sat engrossed for a while. I did eventually get someone to clean up the crow's mess as he wasn't so good at putting the rubish back in the bin.

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 19:57:07 »
we used to have a pet crow, he'd been attacked by a dog as a youngster and he never really flew straight. He lived in the stables, but when he was hungry or wanted some attention, he walk over to the house and bang on the windows with his beak.

He also used to wait until the horses were fed and then sit in their feed buckets, cawing very noisily, and eat all the choice bits of the horse mash, whilst the poor horses stood there waiting paitiently for him to finish.

Tabbycat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal