Author Topic: Incubator - changed from I just want to cry!  (Read 17549 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: I just want to cry!
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 12:41:30 »
Hi there

I made a candler today and just tested 6 eggs - its only day 6 but 4 of them were def alive and moving and i oculd see the veins... the other 2 i wasnt sure so i will candle all of them on sunday!

I found my eyes went funny after a while so i couldnt see properly LOL.

I'm still turning them by hand... what a job that is! 

MonsterMum

• Half Acre
Re: Incubator - changed from I just want to cry!
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 13:02:36 »
That's great news Olive

Have you done anything more about the bad ebayer you bought the incubator from?

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 14:29:16 »
Woo hoo I'm excited for you!

Yes what have you done about that ebay woman?

My OH paid for special delivery for those buff orpington eggs off ebay. They came first class...when you think about it, if the egg seller sold fifty lots of eggs a week and everyone paid for special delivery and she only uses first class...that's about fifty quid a week she is making just from people paying for postage of a higher value than she is using. So he asked her to explain herself before he gave her his review thingy on ebay...he got his postage money refunded.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 14:41:40 »
I hate rip offs... if you want any more orp eggs let me know, I am testing fertility on my 2 show bantams - black so you could have 6 for £6 incl SD postage and polybox... and i know another woman who sells orp eggs for £1 each plus delivery but you dont pay until you candle them at 10 days and only pay for fertiles!

Not dealt with other woman yet as my mum used her ebay ID as i was out for bidding... so i will chase her up about it.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 21:16:22 »
Oooh thanks Oliveoil! Will bear that in mind.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2006, 22:44:51 »
i've just candled all my eggs - all 80 of them (i thought there was 70 lol)... anyway 20 definites, chucked 6 out and the rest are maybes - not sure yet, think i need a stronger bulb... so its pretty good.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2006, 07:15:00 »
good news oo! :D

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2006, 11:46:53 »
45 eggs left in the incubator now... would have been 47 BUT the dog barked made me jump out of my skin, little tiny d'anver egg went flying and cracked it!

Then one of minnies eggs that i thoguht was infertile - actually turned out to be just fine! Grrrrrr

Other than that, all is good!

Hatching a week on wednesday - am sooooooo excited!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2006, 12:34:03 »
You have done well with all the problems looks like you will have a good hatch for all your troubles.
Keep turning ha ha.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 15:24:37 »
OMG teresa! I just realised who you are!!!! LOL... as we are to hide our identity's... think 'green wing'...

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2006, 15:48:05 »
OMG I have just been rolling round the floor laughing.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2006, 13:43:49 »
39 still in the incubator with only what i believe to be handful of suspects. Other than killing those poor two little mites - everything else i have cracked have been clears - some eggs i had posted had their air sacs busted courtesy of RM Special Delivery! just 2 of those out of 9 left in there.

God i just wish wednesday would bloody hurry up! How on earth am i supposed to wait until then?>????????????????

Hows everyone elses little babies coming along? Anyone else got any eggs set at the moment?

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2006, 18:33:27 »
what are you going to do with them all when they hatch ????

??? :o
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2006, 18:49:24 »
Oh it will be loads of babies, what are the breeds?
That is bad for special delivery you pay a lot extra for that service,
My babies are due on the 25th under first time broody shes a silki X and doing well with the heat.
9 eggs under her so will candle on Sunday and throw away duds ( clear) so we will see.
Going away first week in July so incubator will have to wait its killing me.
Some of my last hatch hatched two days early with this heat so watch out ha ha could be earlier than you think ha ha.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2006, 19:07:16 »
Mrs KP - No idea... so far the plan is a cardboard box in the cellar with a heat lamp (which i still havent bought yet!)... then hoping i can rig something up at the lotty when they are feathered and off heat. There are many other chickens, cockerals, geese down our lottys so it shouldnt be a problem.

Teresa - Breeds are Black Bearded silkies, white silkies, Bantam Barred Plymouth Rocks, Red Pekins, Black Pekins, White Crested Black Polands and Show Quality Bantam Black Orpingtons.  The woman has kindly not charged me for the eggs i bought off her as the air sacs were all blown, which was really nice of her but i will definitely buy some more off her as she is reputable and i want a new Orpington line to add to my Show Orps.

Gosh i hope they do hatch early!  I've had real probs today keeping the temp right. Its gone off the gauge twice (only goes up to 40) and i've candled them and they are still alive phew! And also gone down to 35 twice... it was easier keeping the temp with the erally hot days than the cooler days, though i think now the incubator is looking rather empty its harder to stabilise it.

Oh well so far so good,

What are you hatching T?

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2006, 20:19:19 »
oh goodie.  glad we've got a plan.   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2006, 20:50:30 »
Hatching home made eggs ha ha, heinze 57's.
Last summer a broody hatched silki X's for me, one of the pullets is the broody sitting now on her brother X my old white hen who lays every day and through winter layed every other day fantastic she is lays a creamy coloured egg. He is full feathered lovely strong thingy looks like he took after his father ( mother was a white silki) so broody is haveing a go.
I have two one month olds that I put in incubator with some bought black bearded silkies. Just hope they are females needle says so wait and see.
They have turned out with partridge type feathers smooth quite beautiful.
See what they lay like ha ha.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2006, 22:10:26 »
Oh about this needle thingy!!! WHich way is again??? I had some go round and some straight across, also some didnt move - though these werent necessarily dead and are still moving.

Was going to do the needle test again and compare my records - yes i have a spreadsheet - all eggs are numbered with breed, weight and needle movement details - sad i know... also sounds like im ulta organised which i am SERIOUSLY NOT!  Anyway need to weigh the eggs on sunday and do the needle test before i throw out the last ones before its hatching time! woohoo!

Oh gawd, have a job interview tomorrow - best get off here and do some research!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2006, 22:24:01 »
Ok circle for a girl and straight for a boy. if it stands still either not fertile or dead. so they say.
Tried the needle on my daughter in law bless her it went round in a circle but think I may knit in white or lemon ah ha.
Good luck with job interview fingers crossed for you .

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2006, 14:00:49 »
OMG Teresa I got the job!!!!!!!!!!!!! Learning Resources Manager - i am soooo thrilled and surprised as the other candidates were much older than me and had loads of school/library experience!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal