Author Topic: Quick question on sowing seeds indoors  (Read 1829 times)

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
Quick question on sowing seeds indoors
« on: March 22, 2004, 13:30:44 »
Hi all, I sowed some tomato seeds in peat pots at the weekend, and they're now living on my only windowsill.
Something that hasn't been answered by my books is how moist  the soil needs to be before the seeds sprout?
I've moistened them a little, but don't want to drown or dry them too much...

help please  ???

jams

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Quick question on sowing seeds indoors
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 13:34:15 »
Mr Titchmarsh tells me the soil should feel like a wrung out sponge. Moist, but not soggy. I watered mine when I sowed them by standing them in trays of water for a couple of hours. I then didn't water them again until yesterday (about three-four weeks after sowing) when I pricked them out. (they had plastic bottles on top to keep moisture in)
gone to pot :D

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 14:23:56 »
Thanks Aqui, I suppose it's a common sense thing, but I have none... erm, I mean I wanted to be sure  ;D

jams

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 13:33:09 »
I think everyone has their own rules on when and how much water, I tend to sow in quite dryish compost, then stand the trays in water until the tops are wet, then don't really water again until the babies start popping though, unless of course the compost dries, then I water with a watering can, cos I am tooo lazy to then carry all the seed trays back into the house to water at the sink!  The way I understand it is too much water is as bad as too little.  See, something else to catch us out and trip us up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal