Author Topic: frogs and slug pellets  (Read 2933 times)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
frogs and slug pellets
« on: May 16, 2006, 19:58:30 »
After visting a couple of other people's allotments recently and viewing their fabulous ponds, I've been inspired to make one of my own.

I'd like to attract some frogs to start eating my resident slugs and snails but I've recently sprinkled some slug pellets down and wondered whether the pellets or dead slugs will harm the frogs ?? I've got the blue pellets which are supposed to be 'friendly' to wildlife. 

Once the pond is established I'm guessing that I won't need to use the pellets, but whilst the pond is establishing I want to ensure that I get to enjoy my crops, not fatten the unwanted guests.

any thoughts ?

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: frogs and slug pellets
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 10:52:03 »
Hi MC.As far as i know,slugs that have died through  eating pellets are indeed very poisonous to frogs,birds etc.I would far rather have holes in my plants than inflict suffering to them.Can you not set up a better way of removing the slugs,eg beer traps.? I have had a nature pond for years and have the most incredible hostas,they get bigger every year.Yet i positively encourage slugs!!so that the frogs have enough to eat.You will soon get some frogs i am sure.Meanwhile i would try and remove every slug that you find dead,asap, to reduce the risk.

By the way,frogs will not eat snails but the birds will,of course.
Margaret

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 21:05:01 »
thanks Margaret ... will try and find an alternative to the pellets.  Thanks for the tip re birds / snails.  Shall remove them as soon as I see them.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 09:47:01 »
Even the new pellets have a warning about water, will knock down water snails. If you want to use them for susceptible plants put them down under netting/fleece so that other wildlife can't eat the dead ones. A good dose of Nemsalug properly applied should knock down the population level to reasonable levels. A few holes aren't the end of the world!
 ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal