Author Topic: please help identify - Lizard or Newt or what?  (Read 1449 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
please help identify - Lizard or Newt or what?
« on: May 29, 2006, 19:02:20 »
Saw on my rather wet plot today, hiding in the long grass. I couldn't get a photo but does anyone have any suggestions? It was about an inch long, butterscotch in colour (not taste), and had 2 darker stripes running along the length of it's back. I've never seen one before - it was newt shaped but the wrong colour.

Any ideas?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: please help identify - Lizard or Newt or what?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 12:08:45 »
Or maybe even a suggestion? ???

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 12:44:47 »
i dont recognise the description maybwe it was a baby lizard but they usually like dry places. a newt i dunno, have you tried google images?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 19:06:46 »

http://www.herpconstrust.org.uk/
The Palmate Newt is Britain’s other small brown newt.  It is not quite as big as the Smooth Newt, rarely exceeding 6cm.  Adult females are difficult to distinguish from female Smooth Newts, the best way to tell them apart is the fact that the throat of the Smooth Newt is spotted and that of the Palmate newt is plain pink or yellow. The male, in breeding condition, has a low crest along the middle of the back, a filament at the tip of the tail and black webs on the back feet.  The dark markings at the side of the head are more distinct in the Palmate Newt.  Whilst widely distributed, the Palmate Newt has a distinct preference for shallow ponds on acid soils.  It is therefore most commonly found on heathland in the south and west, and in the north on moorland and bogs.

The life cycle of the Palmate Newt is very similar to that of the Smooth Newt and they also eat very similar prey.  Palmate Newts seem able to withstand dryer conditions than the Smooth Newt and are often found a long way from water.

In Great Britain, the Palmate Newt is protected only in as much as sale and trade in any form is prohibited.

Perhaps.

Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal