Author Topic: DISABLED ALLOTMENTING !!  (Read 6875 times)

Chocolate

• Half Acre
DISABLED ALLOTMENTING !!
« on: May 30, 2006, 18:31:04 »
HI
I am disabled and have just taken on an allotment. A friend is laying paths for me,my sister is going to help me when she can.......My problem is that I will have to do my gardening on my hands and knees !! Whatever I need must be within my reach so the design has to be right.
Everyone says that I wont be able to do it but I'm hoping that I can tempt friends to help with the thought of fresh veg....I'm hoping that other people can help me with advise so that by next year I will be able to astound the people who had know faith in me.
PS
Do you know were I can get some really strong knee pads also I've seen something like a claw with know handle that would be great for doing my weeding but blowed if I can find one now when I need one!!
Thanks for your help
Faith   ;)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: DISABLED ALLOTMENTING !!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 18:56:29 »
Hi Chocolate (Faith),  I wish you good luck with your new allotment - good for you for getting one, just you show the doubters.  If you are determined enough you will succeed.  I had Chronic Fatigue five years ago, and people thought I was mad to get an allotment as I could hardly walk then.  I was lucky enough to have a husband to do the digging but I did the weeding and used to use my yoga stool to sit on, which was quite comfortable. 

Over the years I got stronger and stronger, just being outside in the fresh air and seeing things I planted grow was a terrific boost and I am convinced helped my recovery. I see people on our site who are elderly and infirm who do marvelous things and we have a blind man who has an allotment too.  His is marked out in a certain way, so he can navigate around his plot. It would be good if you had  helpers to organise things for you to start with. Keep us up-to-date with how you are getting on.  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 19:06:32 »
I wish you the best of luck with your gardening, a chap on our site configured 2000 sq yds on behalf of Help the Aged, using mainly beds at waist height etc, all to make gardening easy for people with mobility problems. Sadly there haven't been many takers on that plot, but the rest of the site has filled up, often from people being bitten by the bug, having whetted their appetite there or seen what can be achieved.

Regarding your weeding claw and knee pads, I have seen them regularly on sale in Poundland, perhaps check out your nearest store?

The impossible is just a journey away ...

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 19:12:44 »
Hi Chocolate ;D That's how I do most of my gardening (I have a spinal disease) ;D
My lottie has all been put down to beds with pathways in between which makes life a lot easier.
I agree with Busy_Lizzie...the fresh air and seeing what you have grown gives one such a boost...just makes you want to do more and more ;D
I got a tool from The Range ....it's a telescopic combination hoe/weeding tool....but quite small. It has a flat hoe type thing on one side and 3 tines on the other. Found it very usefull 'cos I plant most of my veggies quite close together :) I hope this helps.
Good luck with your venture ;D

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 19:25:28 »
HI BOTH
I've not done these boards before so there might be mistakes!! Thanks so much for building me up, I have felt really down after the weekend and people saying I cant do it . Like you say a blind gentleman works round it so I can.
My friend is going up this week to rotivate and level it off so that he can lay the slabs but I 'll need know end, good job he gets second hand ones with his job!!
I dont get into town to get to the pound shop but a friend does, I'm sure she'll do me a favour. ha
Thanks so much and I'll surely keep you abreast of how I'm going on!!
Faith    :D

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 19:29:15 »
I think you should be really proud of yourself to have the determination that you have...good luck.. i have a feeling you are going to succeed...only wish i live near to help you!  Happy growing
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 19:31:29 »
Thanks Agapanthus
that sounds really good, its all about getting things that are made just to suit us, isnt it. I'm getting more and more confident!!
Faith    ;D

amphibian

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 19:36:17 »
Good on you chocolate, there are scores of disabled allotmenteers about the country so don't let any doubting thomases get to you.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 19:43:32 »
go for it faith, i am sure with a positive attitude and some good old encouragement from us lot you will work wonders, dont be afraid to ask for help when you need it and dont get too discouraged if things get tough.  I would help you if you were on my site and i am sure others on your site will help when they see you are serious.  any chance of seeing some photos of your plot?

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 19:51:06 »
Thanks so much everyone ! Just thinking do they do a runner bean that grows to about three foot??
Faith ???    :(

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 19:59:37 »
Hi Sarah
I'm not very up to date with this new fangled stuff, I'm still buying a diposable camera from Asda !!  I can tell you tho,' at the moment the grass and weeds are about three feet high and it looks like it belongs in the middle of the jungle!!
Faith
PS you know I feel a bit filled up with everyones kind wishes.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 20:08:17 »
I wish you well in your new venture,we may not be able to help you on the physical side of things,but we are all here if things get you down.Which im sure they wont.Where is your lottie?

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 20:14:24 »
Hi Chocolate, just wanted to add my best wishes, I'm certain you can do it with a little help from your friends and lots of determination. About the runner beans, why not grow dwarf french beans rather, they're much tastier and don't grow very high. I'm not sure if they do low growing runner beans. Otherwise could you adapt some sort of purning/cutting device to cut them, a bit like those loppers you get for picking apples from tall trees. :)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 20:20:32 »
Or grow them on cordons ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 21:04:46 »
Hi
Yes I could grow cordons I'm having wires thick ones put all round the plot so that I can grow things up them. I ran it past the chap who runs it he said its OK.
Thats it yes french beans and your right they taste lovely, thats me set up with my beans then!!

My plot is in Leicestershire. You can bet money that nobody lives near me, thats the story of my life!!    :)

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 21:08:45 »
Good knee pad from your local builders merchants. They are heavy duty, made for plunbers and carpenters. Happy gardening :) :)

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 21:20:11 »
Hi
Thats great theres a builders merchant just up the road from me, you know I cant believe how helpfull people on this site are!!   ;)

willow

• Art is the Flower, Life the Green Leaf:
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 21:43:46 »
Well done you Chocolate and I really wish you luck.
Would raised beds eliminate the need for heavy digging? Maybe below your wires to give depth for the beans? And in due course maybe on the rest of your beds? As you said...the design must be right for you from the beginning.
Just some thoughts, good luck again.
Wx

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 22:06:59 »
Hi
I've thought about raised beds but I cant work out the logistics of it all. What would the sides be made of to make them sturdy,then how do you get the soil to the allotment, is it top soil ??  I tell you what I think to much for my own good  :D
Do you know I've only been on this site since this afternoon but at last I feel as tho' I'm with people who are like me, do you know what I mean??
Faith

willow

• Art is the Flower, Life the Green Leaf:
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 22:57:29 »
::) I know what you mean about thinking too much...sometimes it doesn't leave time for ''doing''.  Maybe a couple of scaffold planks and stakes, and some bags of topsoil from the garden centre just to start off your beans...and then play it by ear. There will always be time for improvement and once you get to know your neighbours you will have more ideas and something to aim for.
Slowly slowly catchee monkee.

Wx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal