Author Topic: What's affecting cauliflowers this year?  (Read 1372 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
What's affecting cauliflowers this year?
« on: May 25, 2006, 15:39:33 »
The caulis on our allotment are a long way from being ready, but commercially they're just coming in.  Several English caulis that we've bought at the greengrocers seem to be suffering from some problem that I'd very much like to avoid.

The cauli looks OK from the outside, but when it's cut it's almost all stalk, with a very thin covering of curds.  The curds have some sort of brown colouring (mould?) just under the surface.  When cooked, the curds turn an unappetising grey colour, even when there's no visible problem uncooked.

Does anyone know what this is?  And how to prevent it or treat it?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: What's affecting cauliflowers this year?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 15:26:42 »
Looked at notes I have on brassicas and this might be Sclerotinia or Downy mildew.
Both are a type of fungal disease and really are encouraged by damp conditions and poor air circulation.
Fungicides might help if you wanted to use them.

Might also be boron/calcium deficiency in the soil, this isn't normally a problem on allotments, but can be for commercial scale production.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: What's affecting cauliflowers this year?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 08:10:12 »
Thanks, jennym.  The number of my caulis that look as though they might come to anything is already dwindling, so I might well try an anti-fungal spray.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal