Author Topic: how much can we get?  (Read 1858 times)

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
how much can we get?
« on: March 15, 2004, 21:47:00 »
I am having difficulties planning how much i should sow to get a decent crop. I have noticed that there seems to be no info on what sort of amounts/weights we can expect from various plants. I realise that there can be huge variation but even a range of quantities would be useful. For example, what would be my return for, say, a maincrop potato tuber under normal growing conditions - half a kilo? a kilo? 2?
Does anyone have a list of produce quantities or have any suggestions. How many peas would i need to feed four people? What sort of amounts could I getfrom a gardener's delight tomato?

I realise that I have got 14kg of seed pots to plant - am i going to end up with tons of spuds? help?
all ideas gratefully received.
suzy

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
Re:how much can we get?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 21:47:49 »
hey, i'm a senior! (ho ho)

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 22:22:06 »
Hi Suzy,
One of the books I have is 'Growing Vegetables' by Tony Biggs of The Royal Horticultural Society. There is a section in that book that gives an estimate of the amount of a given produce one should expect for a certain length row of produce. For example it quotes 40 lb from a 33 ft row of maincrop potatoes.
It may be worth checking the above society website to see if the listing is on it.
Thomas

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 12:31:01 »
And another book that has similar information - Joy Larkcom's "Grow your own vegetables" - includes a Value for Space Rating as well.

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal