Author Topic: Astilbe  (Read 2062 times)

Cat

• Quarter Acre
Astilbe
« on: August 03, 2006, 14:19:15 »
I have two Astilbe's, they have both flowered and were looking really good.

The problem is that one of them has started to look really scraggly.  The leaves are turned in and feel like 'crisps'.  Does anyone know what has caused this?

Thanks

Cat
Sometimes we just need a helping hand!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Astilbe
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 14:28:53 »
Most astibles do not like being dry or too hot, depending on your conditions this could be the problem. Ours are suffering at the moment but other years have been OK the next spring.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 15:54:32 »
My Actea's ahve the same symptoms and as they likethe same conditions as astilbe's, it's probably scorch from the weird weather we've had.  I think I contributed to mine by watering while it was still v hot & sunny, but it was the only time I could do it for a few days so took the risk.

Try a bit of TLC & watch for new leaves.

If nothing improves with the more normal weather, check for spider mite infestation or similar.  Some of my less well established plans are succumbing as they have not been robust enough to cope with conditions and can't fight the little blighters off.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 17:10:01 »
i think it must be down to the dry weather, as I have planted my astilbe in a bog area I created in

between two ponds- it looks really healthy and should be flowering soon.

As far as I remember, astilbe's are suited to bog conditions so yours may be suffering the heat.

Debs

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 22:19:01 »
Astilbes are basically bog plants so the recent hot, very dry weather will not have siuted them at all.

Plenty of water round them would help.

Cat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 14:45:28 »
Thanks everyone!

I thought it might be to do with scorch/hot weather.

Will keep an eye on them  :)

Cat
Sometimes we just need a helping hand!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 07:52:25 »
Mine have gone into hiding early this year!!!!
 ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 10:15:36 »
Its definetly the dry weather. I planted 2 in my bog garden in spring.  They had not had time to establish properly before the hot dry weather started. Consequently they have suffered quite badly, despite occasional soakings with water when they have become very dry.

I would suggest being patient and perhaps giving it a good mulch once the soil is moist/wet again.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 02:47:57 »
Yup I am not the only one then. My astilbes are looking a bit erm unwell. Leaves are curling up and everything. Not flowering and not looking as good as last year.  :( Its the HOT weather that has caused it. I hope they recover next year.

This is a bit of a daft thing to add but a little idea on how I remember the name astilbe with the plant. When I see the plant I think of a bead bee, because dead bees are still bees. Daft I know buts thats how I identify an astilbe.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal