Author Topic: Wedding Flowers  (Read 9370 times)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
Wedding Flowers
« on: May 27, 2006, 08:43:08 »
Manuel and my big day is fast approaching now....... (end of August) and I am very keen to do the flowers for the reception myself. Just want about 8 big vases of flowers to brighten up the room, is a gorgeous manor house so does not need that much help really.

I have got a variety of sunflowers on the go, which I am hoping will be flowering at the right time. Planted some Gypsophillia plants which have taken off, so likewise, hoping they will be flowering too.

Is there anything you guys can think of that I can get going now which will be in flower at the end of August? either from seed or an annual they would make a great display I can buy as a plant??

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Wedding Flowers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 09:15:27 »
early flowering spray chrysanthemums planted soon should give you plenty of cut flower by the end of August, make sure you ask for early varieties.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 09:34:38 »
Cosmos flowers freely if you're looking for whispy type flowers. Have you also thought about foliage to mix in with your flowers, perhaps fennel or something like that.

I tell you who might have some good ideas, a friend of mine has a wedding forum and her nephew (who is also a member at the forum) does flowers for weddings, I'm sure he's be able to give you lots of ideas. His username there is Adam Prest http://denisebydesigns.forumup.co.uk/index.php?mforum=denisebydesigns
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 11:31:40 »
There should be lots to choose from, Dahlias is another that comes to mind.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 11:39:08 »
thanks for the ideas so far everyone - keep em coming!

choice is not the problem - narrowing it down to things that are good cut flowers and are guaranteed to be flowering on August Bank Holiday weekend, I am struggling with!!  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 11:52:39 »
Gladioli are in season at the florests then but not sure how long they take from planting...
 ;D

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 20:37:08 »
ooh - that is a good one. I planted a load of gladioli in the garden this year, had almost forgotten about them.... they are white ones - acidentra??? I think, so they would work well.

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 00:00:08 »
I don't think Acidanthera will be in flower for August, they are very late flowering I'm afraid.

You could have Crocosmia and some lilies though.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 08:43:09 »
Excellent - got both of those too......... this is great - so many of the things I already have it seems should be performing well this time of year. I feel a spreadsheet coming on of our existing plants v when they flower........

(for those who do not know me BTW - is our first full year with a decent sized garden,  having spent winter converting it from 80 ft of grass with an 18 inch border, so I am just learning when and what stuff does, be patient with me!  :))

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 10:42:57 »
How exciting! You are brave doing your own flowers. Sunflowers sound great!

If you need any flowers for the big day I'd be happy to help. I have some dwarf sunflowers and crocosmia that should be ready around that time (just incase you've not got enough). I will also have some gladioli (orange ones i think?).

I'd love to see how your garden has changed from when I came round. Have you got any photos?

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 20:27:54 »
Hi Emma

that would be great! my sunflowers all got zapped in the frost last week on the allotment so am a bit behind now, will let you know if I need bailing out nearer the time.... :)

There is always the Bedford flower market on the Friday before too, am not going to get too stressed about it - I will do them myself if I can but is not the end of the world if it does not work out.

as for the garden - you would not recognise it. This was about 5 weeks ago, everything has doubled in size now and we planted out lots more... really pleased with it so far.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 20:30:09 by daisymay »

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 21:45:03 »
The garden is looking lovely! Looks so much better without the concrete path.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 17:03:36 »
Wow- that garden's lovely!

(I neglected mine badly in the run-up to my wedding - though was doing dresses and cake*... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

If you want some ivy then you're welcome to harvest my garden. It's supposed to mean fidelity or something similar. I had it in my bouquet and used piles of the stuff from the garden to decorate the reception.

Oh, if you want satin ribbon for cars and tying bouquets etc I've got most of a 100m reel left...

moonbells

*heck of a way to learn sugar flower making.  In at the deep end!
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 20:08:21 »
Hi,

Thank you, have attached a photo of spring time last year for comparison, we have come a long way, it was about 5ft high in weeds when we moved in so have done quite a bit here already........

Thank you for the kind offer - What colour is the ribbon? ivy could be useful too - will let you know nearer the time. 

DM x
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 20:10:29 by daisymay »

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 20:20:38 »
Oh wow, Daisymay, what a transformation. It looks so much easier on the eye for a few curvy bits.
You must be very pleased with yourself. :D :D :D
Smile, it confuses people.

plimsoll plot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 20:28:14 »
very nice

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 14:24:46 »
Hmm I think it's cream rather than white but I'll try and remember to check tonight. I assume cream as everything else was...

I got it from the local party shop (along with the table sprinklies, the balloons and a load of pull-bows)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 21:18:48 »
HI MB

That would be fab, if you can spare it. Can use it for the cars - my dad is driving me and Manuel's dad is driving him, we were wondering where to get ribbon for them from!

Have to meet up some time before the wedding to get it...... am thinking a round trip on the Thursday before the wedding to take in you and Emma may be in order, she is not far from you.....  :)

as for neglect! went to the lottie for the first time in about a week, nearly cried at the amount of bind weed growing back.....  :(

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 22:16:18 »
Hi again

It's 2" wide satin white florist's ribbon (and can be stripped into narrower widths).  :)  :)

There's enough to do rather a lot of cars - but if you're decorating the venue too, you might be able to have some fun with loops and bows and have something to tie up Emma's sunflowers! :) I shall have to make a mental note of 24th Aug...

moonbells

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 20:04:37 »
Hi Daisymay,

Just wanted to share with you that i am getting married myself very soon  :o  ;D

Just under six weeks to go and i will be trotting down the aisle.

Unlike you ive not been brave enough to attempt putting together my own flowers, so good luck with that, sounds like it will be lovely with all of the sunflowers.

Your garden looks lovely, you can see the hard work you have put in over the last 12 months.

I decided to keep my garden very simple this year, what with organizing my wedding ect, i wanted to make things a bit easier on myself. I usually go crazy with hanging baskets but this year ive only made up seven ...lol

Then over the last few weeks, i started to think that we might use the garden for photographs before we leave the house, so then it was all systems go, adding a little bit more here and there, and ive spent all day in it today, and am now becoming slightly obsessive making it tip top.

So much for not bothering this year, well i am a woman, i am allowed to change my mind  ;D
Anyway good luck with your wedding :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal