Author Topic: NEW POTATOES  (Read 4348 times)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Re: NEW POTATOES
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 20:34:56 »
Think I got a duff lot of seed potatoes Pentlin Javelin dug up one plant to check only 1 potato and tiny little ones. Leaving them now till mid June.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 22:10:55 »
We had our first early potatoes today - Swift, planted on 15 March. We had to split the sack to the bottom because that is where 1725 g of lovely spuds were hiding. Is that a good yield from three tubers? We found that the other two sacks, Pentland Javelin and Home Guard, were completely waterlogged, so we have made some extra holes in the bottom of the sacks and will wait a couple more weeks to see if they produce a harvest.

A side salad with home grown little gem lettuce, the main course with the new potatoes and dessert made with freshly pulled rhubarb - yes, we are getting there slowly but surely. Now we need some warm sunshine to really bring on the veggies!

Tricia

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 05:57:28 »
I drowned my tub plants, too, so I'm not hoping for much.

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 12:01:54 »
wow, well done to all you people harvesting your pots.  sooooo envious.  i am growing potatoes for the very first time (as we have very bad blight on our plot).  they have been in 10 weeks.  you've all got me so excited (it's like christmas as a child).  had a poke around and they are the size of olives.  i just can't wait.  can't believe i haven't grown them before!!!   ;D   ;D   ;D
It'll be better next year

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 19:25:05 »
Mouthwatering stuff, Tim - and just a tinge of envy for all you lucky people who have harvested so early - don't expect to dig up our first earlies until (very late) June/July 'tis the highlight of the lottie season!!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 19:28:54 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 19:38:08 »
Hoping to start next week on my swift potatoes, think I am about two weeks behind on last year, also hoping to have some peas in about ten days time.

Tim I was down at Enstone last Friday is that near to you ?
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2006, 20:02:40 »
Had first Rocket for tea, planted 19/3 in Polytunnel, not a great yield but fed six off four plants, and left them in to see if I can coax a few more tubers before we put the other stuff into the poly and need the ground!
 ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 20:14:17 »
practically overnight me rockets have sprouted flowers so i predict a Feast on Friday of First earlies! ;D ;D ;D
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 21:58:12 »
Same shade as me Wicker! ;)  Mind you, I've only 2 weeks to go on my first earlies ( Adora and Arran Pilot) so fingers crossed, and I'm comtemplating contemplating digging up some of my I. Kidney a few weeks early.  I've  90+ other plants on the go, spread from middle June to early September, which is probably going to be overkill if 1.7Kg from 3 tubers is typical! :o   

Still loads of people will have them off me, double figures the last time I heard.  Mind you, I must keep the blinking weeds down. I'm going to be busy, busy, busy...  ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 22:01:02 by MutantHobbit »
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006, 13:11:16 »
We had our first harvest of outdoor Arran Pilot last week.  Planted them late March.  Dug up four plants and managed to feed 3 and had enough left over for a potato salad the next day for one (Me)  ;D  Well it's allowed seeing as I grew them.

I was hoping for more pots/plant - but they are first earlies, am I right in thinking the yeild isn't as great for them?

Alison

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2006, 13:27:21 »
I found my Foremost potatoes flowering this weekend. They were planted in late April though... ???
Can potatoes flower before potatoes are ready?

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2006, 14:07:13 »
Mine look quite pathetic compared with last year, despite the horrible frost that whacked them down then.

Earlies went in on April 6th so that's 7.5 weeks so far. At least another month to go, sniff! Can't be helped - was way too cold in March.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

amphibian

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2006, 14:12:42 »
I found my Foremost potatoes flowering this weekend. They were planted in late April though... ???
Can potatoes flower before potatoes are ready?

Yes. Mine are in flower, but there is nowt ready to eat. Mind you mine have had to recover from 8 inches of snow in April.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2006, 14:45:35 »
Thanks, amphibian ;) So glad I didn't dig them up! Can't wait to harvest new potatoes. ;D

amphibian

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2006, 14:51:05 »
Thanks, amphibian ;) So glad I didn't dig them up! Can't wait to harvest new potatoes. ;D

If in doubt have a root round with your hand.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal