Author Topic: onions  (Read 1272 times)

ksia

• Quarter Acre
  • Mayenne, France
onions
« on: May 25, 2006, 22:08:22 »
I'm a bit confused about my onions...I know it's a bit late in the onion season to be confused with them but as I don't eat them or like them it's easy to get confused...!

I've put in White Ebenzer and Stuttgarter Riesen.
Web research tells me the first is a salad onion....does this mean spring onion? And that the Stuttgarter grow to be big onions. They both look like spring onions at the minute and, according to my partner who likes them, tastes of them too. I don't 'get' all this onion stuff...I just picked up some sets/ were given some and that's what's gone in.

So I guess what I'm asking is what can these that I've put in be used for and when?
And to have spring onions, large onions and onions for pickling (oddly I like pickled onions!) what should I be growing and is it too late for me to put in what ever I might be missing?

Thanks for your help - and any other onion tips as I admit they don't get as much love and attention as the other veg...
Karen

amphibian

Re: onions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 22:20:08 »
Salad/bunching/spring/green/eschallots/cibies/scallion are all 'spring onions', though the term green onion can also refer to green bulbs of a normal onion. However in my family a 'salad onion' was always a slightly bulbed onion with long hollow stems which could be finely chopped in to rings to put in salads, while a spring onion was the classic straight white fleshy type.

Right now they'll look the same, the bulbs won't start to develop properly until the days start getting shorter, in a month's time.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 23:11:55 »
By my reckoning, salad onions are normal bulb onions but are milder and sweeter than normal cooking onions.  Stuttgarters are big flat onions.  Green onions are normal onions picked/pulled before maturity and spring/bunching are the ones that are pulled when they are pencil thickness and eaten whole.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 23:19:46 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 23:18:13 »
Salad = spring for me

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 00:24:31 »
...And to have spring onions, large onions and onions for pickling (oddly I like pickled onions!) what should I be growing and is it too late for me to put in what ever I might be missing?...

To answer the bit on spring onions, I find they can be sown every couple of weeks from now right up until, say September. The later ones will stand overwinter, there have been some posts regarding Ishikura in that respect.

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 11:25:50 »

I just picked up some sets/ were given some and that's what's gone in.

I am also new to growing onions of any sort.  I didn't know you could grow salad/spring (same thing to me) onions from sets ???  :-\  ::)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 17:23:36 »
Ksia,
Stuttgarter is an excellent main crop onion. It stores well.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

ksia

• Quarter Acre
  • Mayenne, France
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 17:42:36 »
Thanks for all the responses, becoming less confused.

But which do I pickle or have I an 'onion-pickling-gap'?

thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal