Author Topic: cordless strimmers  (Read 11522 times)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: cordless strimmers
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 21:21:01 »
Ryibi make an edging attachment for theirs

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2006, 22:09:54 »
i'm unlikely to want to use a power tool for more than half an hour, or maybe an hour at the absolute maximum. All I want is a reliable one!

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
    • RSPB Shropshire Local Group - Southern branch
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2006, 23:42:14 »
This has been said B4 but I love repeats ;D If you have a domestic electric strimmer then consider a generator, someone on here bought a brand new light weight genny for as little as £50, you can then make good use of all your domestic power tools up the lottie like mowers, drills, power saws, strimmers, even rotovator if electric. ;)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I go to my plot for a bit of peace and quiet! Quick bursts on a strimmer might be bearable; a generator and loads of power tools are surely going a bit far...

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 18:38:10 »
An Argos booklet fell out of my paper yesterday morning while I was at work, phoned my missus & asked her to drop in and pick me up a petrol strimmer £49.99 for a 36cc job, reduced from about 80 quid. Used it today and so far it seems to be a good', very impressed. Mine won't get a massive amount of use, like my chainsaw, but when I need one it's there. If I get half a dozen years use out of it I'm laughing, knowing me I'll get about 20 years out of it

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2006, 20:48:21 »
I don't know about the rest of you, but I go to my plot for a bit of peace and quiet! Quick bursts on a strimmer might be bearable; a generator and loads of power tools are surely going a bit far...

I think you may have missed the point Chrissie, you only use one power tool per generator operation, your very lucky to have an allotment that stays peaceful and quiet, we have a public pathway that runs the length and breadth of our lottie so weekends and school holidays our petrol tools are hushed by the sound of boy motorbikers that appear not to have silencers fitted to their machines. ::)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2006, 21:15:49 »
I'm with Mike B, Grow veg not grass, we have a real heavy duty petrol strimmer........ works wonders!
 ;D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 21:38:34 »
weekends and school holidays our petrol tools are hushed by the sound of boy motorbikers that appear not to have silencers fitted to their machines.

Ever tried a broom handle through the front spokes?  :o ;D 8)

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 23:35:05 »
Hi Roy - no I didn't imagine using all your power tools at once, but the generator itself would be pretty noisy wouldn't it? The chap over the road from us used to deal in them and tried them out every Saturday morning in his front garden  >:(. He's moved away now.

I take your point though, peace and quiet is a luxury and I do appreciate it. The broom handle idea sounds great but probably not legal...!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 23:57:31 »
About as legal as riding off road motorcycles in a public place I'd imagine

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2006, 08:06:12 »
On our site, people use all types of grass trimmers and brush cutters.
The cordless ones are complained about as not being strong enough to do a decent job, although they seem quiet.
The petrol ones do a decent job, but are noisy.
Two chaps bring a generator and run electric strimmers, hedgecutter, drills etc from them. Although not as powerful as a petrol strimmer, they seem do a reasonably good job of keeping down rough grass, and the generator to my mind is quieter than the petrol strimmers.
I was intending to buy a Ryobi petrol strimmer after reading threads here, but am now torn between that and a generator. It would also have the advantage of being a back up electricity supply when we get power cuts (which is at least twice a year here)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2006, 09:58:19 »
I bought a Black and Decker (R) GL690 Electric Grass Trimmer last September for £40 it’s a toughy with 630watts of power.
Jennym, 4 stroke gennys are a lot quieter nowadays I believe and yes it was very useful last year when we had a 12 hr power cut, it ran my neighbours pond full of expensive Koi carp, our freezer and most importantly our telly. ;D

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=4501&langId=-1&searchTerms=0420927

amphibian

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2006, 20:20:21 »
This has been said B4 but I love repeats ;D If you have a domestic electric strimmer then consider a generator, someone on here bought a brand new light weight genny for as little as £50, you can then make good use of all your domestic power tools up the lottie like mowers, drills, power saws, strimmers, even rotovator if electric. ;)

I understand the desire for peace, but I view an allotment as a working space, geared fr teh production of food, and as such view all the noices that come with it as part and parcel of its istigkeit.

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2006, 22:21:27 »
I understand the desire for peace, but I view an allotment as a working space, geared fr teh production of food, and as such view all the noices that come with it as part and parcel of its istigkeit.

That's a very interesting point of view Amphibian, but not one I would necessarily share. I see my plot as far more than just a food factory; it's a space for exercise, relaxation, contemplation and just pure enjoyment of the wonders of nature and the outdoors. Producing delicious healthy fruit, vegetables and flowers is the icing on the cake.

What do others think?

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2006, 23:18:44 »
I agree with you Chrissie, you have hit the nail square on the head but for the small amount of time peace is shattered by the rumble of a small petrol driven engine (other than bikers) (incidentally 2 stroke strimmer and Rotavator decibels are a lot higher than 4 stroke genny's) it doesn't really raise an eyebrow.

Do you not have any plotty peeps with Rotavator or strimmer on your plot? I would say you are unlucky if not as we occasionally loan our power tools out to each other when needs be. :)

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2006, 00:28:38 »
Yes of course you're quite right Roy, one of our kind neighbours lent us his petrol mower for our grass paths only the other day and I use the cordless strimmer as I said earlier. It's all a matter of degree, balance and general good manners I suppose. Sometimes it's lovely just to listen to the birdsong  8).   

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2006, 00:34:16 »
Most decent tillers/rotavators have 4 stroke engines

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal