Author Topic: Knife Amnesty...  (Read 12395 times)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Knife Amnesty...
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2006, 22:04:19 »
That is a predictably twittish attitude, how are they supposed to choose who to let through with banned objects? Should they just stop anyone who looks a bit like Osama Bin Laden or what? The rules are there for everyone’s safety. Don't get me wrong, my work brings me into close contact with check in staff and they are mostly fairly unintelligent but they have a list of objects which are not allowed in hand luggage and that's the end of it, grow up and stop whining

Gardners son

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2006, 22:20:13 »
I'd have to agree. If there's a list of banned items, they're banned. They can't just have exceptions all over the place. It's an inconvenience us normal non-terrorising folk will have to deal with  :P

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2006, 22:47:16 »
oooooooooo!

so what about the case of the rucksack???

Mine was described as having too many pockets and too big?

Mine was Much smaller than the one that just went through and had 2 small side pockets, thats it!

Pathetic. You can say stop whining, but it is stupid have rules decided by attitude.

I would rather ignore the terrorists and keep the same security.

sod the idiots who disrupt a peaceful life. All I wanted to do was take a rucksack as hand luggage with contents that were harmful, the reason being, a rucksack is easy to carry. bung it on your back and forget about it.

I was off diving and had BIG knife in luggage which I can happily walk round in public with it strapped to leg without any problems.

Too many people wandering around this planet worrying about rules, instead of sticking to their sensible guns

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2006, 23:04:50 »
common sense HAS to be used.

if you are between 11-21 and running around the streets in a shell suit and a baseball cap, demolishing car wing mirrors and are found carrying a blade ....... i'd knick you.

if you are a deep sea diver off on hols for a fortnight to a coral reef, i wouldn't.

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2006, 20:29:56 »
sod the idiots who disrupt a peaceful life. All I wanted to do was take a rucksack as hand luggage with contents that were harmful, the reason being, a rucksack is easy to carry. bung it on your back and forget about it.

I was off diving and had BIG knife in luggage which I can happily walk round in public with it strapped to leg without any problems.

Too many people wandering around this planet worrying about rules, instead of sticking to their sensible guns

Firstly there is a size limit on carry on luggage, so if they let someone take on an over large, rucksack they are in the wrong but it still doesn't mean that they should then let everyone carry anything they want onto the aircraft.

Secondly, if you think that everybody should be free to carry a diver’s knife onto an aeroplane then I'm shocked at your naivety. My freedom to be safe from knife attack overrules your freedom to be armed with a blade, end of story as far as I'm concerned.

Some very strange, stressed & drunk people travel by air, the last thing I want thrown in to that mixture is a weapon thanks, I'm sure you're a very safe & responsible person but sadly not everyone is, so why take the chance.

How about making a full psychiatric report for every passenger part of the requirement for air travel?

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2006, 21:16:17 »
You know, I wouln't have minded the cutlery being confiscated if it had been metal. I can fully appreciate that there are rules about the stuff you can take on a plane, but it was PLASTIC cutlery and not as sharp as the ones that they give you to eat your in-flight meal with, AND I'd checked with the security staff aT Heathrow that it was ok to have with me when I'd flown out to Ireland. >:(

My friend's husband is one of the security staff at a certain airport, and he freely (& cheerfully) admits to taking out his bad moods on the people whose hand baggage he's checking. Sometimes he does it because he's in a strop, sometimes he chooses "people I don't like the look of - people who look too happy", sometimes he picks an item that he knows will upset someone - one of the things he likes to do best is confiscate nice pens or the brushes from women's make-up bags.

He thinks it's hilarious when they get upset. I know that he is one bad example in hundreds of nice guys who are doing a very necessary job, but he genuinley seems to get a kick from the power that he has over people. He is totally unrepentant about it and sees being able to upset someone as a perk of his job. ???

I have to say that he's not one of my favourite people.

Tabbycat

amphibian

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2006, 21:24:53 »
There are many words that describe people like him, unfortunately they wouldn't even be suited to watershed.  >:(

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2006, 21:27:28 »
Firstly there is a size limit on carry on luggage, so if they let someone take on an over large, rucksack they are in the wrong but it still doesn't mean that they should then let everyone carry anything they want onto the aircraft..

The rucksack was half the size of the regulation size baggage and half the size of the rucksack before me. As I said, idiot staff who don`t know their job properly, and in that, I am right.... End of story.

Like Tabbycat.... Idiot staff who should not be employed in such a post.

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2006, 21:32:47 »
I think we all need to take a deep breath

Ready?

OK - breath out anger, breath in love (repeat many , many times!!!!!)

;D ;D ;D ;D

Tabbycat x

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2006, 22:11:48 »
yep another debate, time to end, go do some veggie stuff :D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2006, 00:39:19 »
I wasn't talking about plastic knives but heyho ::)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2006, 10:00:24 »
Just as an aside they use plastic cutlery on a local ward, for patients at risk of suicide/self harm.... but it is near the top of the tower block.... at least A+ E is at the bottom!

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2006, 17:52:27 »
Guess who'se partner packed a 1.5" makeup scissors / knife in her handbaggage at Mumbai airport? The x-ray machine picked it out - which amazed me - but it took the removal of every item in her bag, piece by piece and God knows how many re-passes through the x-ray machine before they could find it. As they would not tell her what they were looking for, she could not help.
My gardening knife has a 7" blade, serrated on one side, and with a chunk of blunt metal on the end of the handle. It is my old diving knife from way back. I could have a problem!
JeremyB

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2006, 16:34:10 »
Look at Tony Martin, what a hero

Sorry, but I think not. He killed the intruder with an unlicensed gun. I'm all in favour of protecting my family and property but Tony Martin broke the law intentionally to protect his property.
Ask anybody who owns a gun and has applied for a license in the proper manner what they think of people like Martin before labelling him a hero. God help us all if so-called 'vigilantes' end up armed with shotguns.
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2006, 19:35:37 »
Not only that, he shot the guy in the back while running away. That's the act of a coward, not a hero.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2006, 21:00:14 »
Agreed but running away is also the act of a coward ?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2006, 21:23:20 »
However poor my opinion of teenage burglars, I don't think anyone is justified in shooting someone who's ruinning away. If the lad had been coming towards him he might have had an excuse since he could have done it in fear (justified or not) for his life. But once the kid started to run away, he was no longer a threat.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 00:16:10 by Robert_Brenchley »

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2006, 23:52:47 »
As I said I agree but I wonder if I'd do the same

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2006, 20:45:00 »
I wonder why the charles bronson films were so successful?

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2006, 00:39:48 »
I wonder why the charles bronson films were so successful?

Yes, I've often wondered why, as they were all pretty awful.
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal