Author Topic: Knife Amnesty...  (Read 12406 times)

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
Re: Knife Amnesty...
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 12:31:53 »
lou lou,

I'm the same about worrying if anything happens when I'm out in the car. All my lottie tools are in the boot but I do keep a very large pair of scissors with very sharp blades in the pocket of the drivers door.

If anyone asks why I tell them that it's in case I need to cut the kids out of their car seat harness if there's an emergency.

Tabbycat

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 12:49:36 »
my other half wount be impressed now what a good idea for the door pocket  i dont know why we do it but we worrie far to much  some men are too layed back   well i know mine is  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 13:44:57 »
hmmm...can you worry to much?  Don't get me wrong, I worry about my kids and my darling constantly, has been the cause of critically high blood pressure, panic attacks and a complete distrust of people......but all I am doing is putting myself in an early grave, where I will be no use to anyone, and causing the kids to have no trust in other people.  I wouldn't want to carry a large pair of scissors in the car because I would be concerned that my kids would get their hands on them, they know better than to play with scissors, but there is always that 1 in a 100 event, and also, if you are under threat and attempt to use them, could a stronger quicker person get them from you and harm you!  And what about if you were to use them on someone by accident, I mean if you felt someone was threatening, but actually quite innocent?  And you are talking about taking someones life, could you do it?  You (I don't mean you personally whoever is reading this, I mean the great 'you') say yes, as I do if your kids, you or your other half were under threat,  but I wonder how many could and would when the chips are down.  It is easy to say, yup, I would, and yes, Emma Jane sits here and says that if her darlings were threatened, she would do whatever it takes to keep them safe......but......... :-[

Cor.....did I wander off topic and then back on....?

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2006, 14:41:54 »
Emma Jane - you are right that we all worry too much. I never really did until I had children. I try and keep it under control but I find now that I think about how I would deal with a worst case senario and then I feel much better. My husband thinks I'm being silly but it makes me feel safer to have thought about things.

In fact I really think my worrying started as an offshoot of my post-natal depression. I deal with it now by not watching the news or reading the newspapers. It means I'm not very well informed on world events but I'm not depressed either!

I don't really know if I'd use the scissors or not. You can never say how you'd react in any given situation. I really do keep them there in case i need to get the kids out quickly. When I was a teenager my Mum's friend was involved in a multiple smash on the motorway. She couldn't get her youngest child's harness undone and he died because no-one could get him out quickly enough & the cars caught fire. The memory of it has haunted me for years. I know that car seats have improved and mine are the ones that have the seat belts across them now but I still have the scissors - They are Duck-Taped to the side pocket.

Tabbycat

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 00:02:21 »
I find it amazing what you all write! A lot of peope think the same, self preservation and fear is at the base of it all.

I don`t want to hurt anyone but More importantly I don`t want to be hurt by some pratt with an attitude or mental dis-order, I would protect myself or someone else being attacked if I possibly could.
I have always maintained I would use ANY force neccesary to do this.
I OFTEN carried a sheaf knife on belt as I used it day in day out on the farm for anything from cutting bale twine etc. (Also cos it was "ard")(I was young!)

mostly carry pen knife because they are so useful for ANYthing.

Always carried pepper spray in cab for any evetuality on night shift(don`t now cos out of date) but did need to use WD40 and lighter to get rid of serious potential threat once :D
In hind sight I could laugh and it was really funny in a evil sort of way but I could have been in great danger and at the end of it all, WHY should I have to be?

ME comes first.

Look at Tony Martin, what a hero. blast the intruders either through anger or fear, matters not, justice should have been a medal not a sentance.
How many times had he been burgled?

If someone walked up my stairs at night, the ONLY reason I would ask,"who`s that"? would be through fear that it was someone I know or some stranger in desparate trouble...

peaceful life is our human right but the potential of danger frm the minority is still a threat so one has to be sort of ready, instead of a statistic.

I once asked the authorities about the legal power of citizens arest.
The answer was not forthcoming but eventually it was assumed that you could use ANY force neccessary......

I once had a person appear over back fence!!! Scary!
But oh, how those 5000 staples of poor carpentry must have smarted on those pinkies ;D

Person enters garden-unorhtorised-dog bites intruder-dog gets murdered by those in power of justice......What was the right thing to do for human rights???????????????????????????????????

Kill the uman give the dog a medal...

Why oh why do humans have "special" powers over animals?

Justice is a myth.

Don`t I waffle a lot :P

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 09:45:10 »
I have been nagged and nagged by the kids and my 11year old Grandson. I am not a nervous person, spent years having to be in the house with 4 kids when Charlie was out almost every night on our lorries. Since being on my own  (not that Charlie could have done much as he was disabled) I do silly things like being in the back garden and leaving my front door unlocked sometimes only locking it when I go to bed around midnight.. So at last I have got sensible, if I am in the garden I turn the key in the front door leave the side door to the back porch onlocked in case kids visit. My sister-in-law tells me I should keep all doors locked even in the day, she had an intruder who climbed her 5ft fence and entered her house by the back door when she was upstairs on the computer!! Terrible to think we are not safe even in our homes. Very sad.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 10:37:37 »
Gone ome people I know, never lock their car and even leave keys in ignition and it never get nicked :o

If I did that it would be gone in 60 seconds...............

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 15:09:01 »
AndyH. Ah That is one thing I am fussy about. My insurance states that no payment will be made for a vehicle stolen if the keys are left in.. Oh dear sounds like I value my car more than my safety!!!! and it's only an old banger ;D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 16:33:09 »
 ;D Thats true Lorna

and how many of us keep £25 worth of rubbish in the garage and £10000 of car(not mine) on the driveway! :-X

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2006, 18:19:07 »
Gone ome people I know, never lock their car and even leave keys in ignition and it never get nicked :o

If I did that it would be gone in 60 seconds...............

I know a guy that used to leave his engine running to warm up his car in winter, it was a lovely Audi convertible worth about 23 grand, thieves took it off his drive, he never saw it again and not a penny did he get off his insurance company. :o ::)

DERYCK32

• Not So New ...
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2006, 19:37:20 »
Well,Well,
What has the world come to when a garderner cant have a penknife in their pocket.
All of you are saying much the same thing.
No one on God's earth will ever stop me carring one.
I'll bet all of us has had a penknife from been a young lad or lass.
If we did everthing that Goverments tell us to do I asm afraid life would not be worth living.
Sorry but when I have read all your letters I could not help myself.
Deryck

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2006, 21:16:50 »
I think the whole point is that you CAN carry a penknife in your pocket, just so long as it's of a reasonable size and you have a reason to be carrying it

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2006, 22:28:02 »
That is the truth really, reason for carrying anything that could be a lethal weapon.

amphibian

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2006, 00:04:03 »
When I was 19 I was charged with possession of an offensive weapon. This is what happened.

On my way out of the door I noticed it was raining and so put on my dad's raincoat. It was late at night and I was going to the garage to get some rizla. Half way to the garage I got stopped by a squad car, they said that I matched the description of a suspect in a mugging that had just occurred, and that I was going to be searched.

I was not bothered as I had nothing to hide. Imagine my surprise when they fished a large folding lock knife from my coat pocket. It was my Dad's fishing knife, and the coat, I had absent mindedly borrowed, was my father's coat that he used when fishing, he had obviously left the knife in the pocket.

I was arrested and charged with:

Possession of an offensive weapon
Mugging
Possession of a class B drug*
Assault

My father's explanation that the knife was his made no difference, they pressed ahead after I was positively identified by the victim, he later withdrew this identification after he saw his real attacker in the street a few days later. The police however pressed ahead with the weapon charge. The stress of this was huge, but to my surprise the charges were dropped without any real reason why being given. My Dad never got his knife back.

*the 'drug' was another thing found in my Dad's coat, they thought it was a tiny piece of cannabis resin, it turned out to be a little bit of twig.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2006, 10:34:52 »
arrested for being in possession of a dangerous twig! ;D
Excellent! (not funny at the time though....

We got searched at gatwick once, we were really young and for a laugh we were tricking a mate, saying we had this drug called purple something?
It was a sealable small bag with polystyrene balls from the bean bag in it.

The police took a lot of convincing! ;D
Then upon searching the car(mums) they found a bra in the glove box???
Not mine!

In a leter year I was in a wreck of a car I had been given by a farmer that was now a PC, asked what was in the boot I said I don`t know, upon opening it they found it full of water and blood and feathers!
Wanted me to tell them what was underwater! Not putting my hand in there, you can if you like! They didn`t and I proceeded.....

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2006, 12:38:37 »
And do you think that the really naughty boys and girls out there are going to hand their knives over to the police....me not think so
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2006, 19:14:17 »
Dragging the thread back on-topic, as far as I was aware, swiss army knives and clasp knives are street legal.  I even took one with me to Iceland 2 years ago, via Heathrow.  As requested I just needed to put a swiss army knife in my backpack at customs to go into the luggage hold. 

Bearing in mind it was post-9/11, and the fact they made a fellow group member post a fruit knife home, as it was in her hand luggage with her apples :o, I'd guess the authorities are pretty relaxed about Swiss Army Knives.  Whether they should be, is another topic... :-\

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2006, 00:20:26 »
Customs and check in staff are idiots. full stop.

Poweing  hungry sad ******** jealous of you going on holiday.

they sell cheap lighters in air side at india. they take your money then confiscate the goods! Where do they think we were going with them?

A rucksack at Gatwick going out to red sea, can`t take that as hand luggage! Bigger ruck sack just went through, had to buy rubbishy bad and put some items into it and the rest I packed in mates luggage at the desk, then they asked him if all packed himself, after watching me put my spare rubbish in his bag, he said yes and they let us all through.

All the same contents between the 2 of us! then we lied to them and through we went.

Idiots the lot of them,. No real set of rules, just depends on attitude of check in pratt.

took bag through once and it got checked for explosive remains, it got through! It had had low explosives in it but was not detected.

why do they confiscate nail scissors from hand luggage!???
They were there to cut cable ties off main luggage when reaching destination, luggage cable tied to stop theiving gits in luggage handling.

(on a roll again)! >:( >:( >:(

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2006, 20:08:37 »
I came up against a miserable, jobsworth moron once, when I was flying back from Ireland after New Year. He had obviously over-indulged big time and was really p***ed off at having to be at work.

I was catching a flight with my OH, my daughter who at the time was 18 months old,& I was obviously expecting baby number two. What did he choose to confiscate?........

My daughter's baby cutlerly that was in my handbag! He said the fork was a "potentially offensive weapon". I pointed out that I was hardly likely to be a hijacker considering the condition that i was in.

I then told him that he could keep the spoon as well, as he obviously had the mental capacity of a toddler himself and would need them to eat his lunch with. >:(  ;D

At this point the OH lead me away quite quickly before I got blacklisted by Dublin airport!!! ;D

Tabbycat

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2006, 21:13:05 »
NICE reply! ;D

OH`s always ruin things by coming to the rescue!

The outcome could have been great by the time it got to The Sun ;D

Could have been front page news with a picture of your toddler in handcuffs behind bars crying,"mummy" ;D

(just off to a job at The Star!)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal