Author Topic: Annoying habit!  (Read 6405 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Annoying habit!
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 18:27:35 »
Keep struggling, Derek.

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2006, 23:52:30 »
:o :o :o Ooooh LIshka,

you little mixer ;D

I'm going to send you a wooden spoon and a mixing bowl ;D ;D ;D

You're really going for it , off topic and rattling the Whole of the UK's cage ;D ;D ;D
(Except Brum)

What is Brum short for?    I honoustly don't Know
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 21:27:20 »

What is Brum short for?    I honoustly don't Know

Birmigum ;D Nah! dunno really ;D This link might help ;D
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=42225&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=13150

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 23:53:00 »
Brummagem, Sprottie, as below:-

On the 'Phrase Finder' page for 'Brummagem Screwdriver' it states that:
(http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/58900.html)

"'Brummagem' is a slang version of 'Birmingham', which is a version of 'Bromwicham', itself a version of 'Brimidgeham', the old name for Birmingham. The Bromwicham form persists in the name of the town to the west of Birmingham - West Bromwich. "

Actually, going as far back as 1086, the Domesday form of this name is 'Bermingha.', so Brimidgeham is not the older name for Birmingham.
The origins of the name are, in fact, Anglo-Saxon, ie pre-Domesday, and mean: the homestead (ham) of the people (ingas) of Beorma.
Beorma's inga's ham = Birmingham.
The form 'Brummagem' (there are actually many, many variants) evolved as a result of pronunciation. The 'r' and the vowel towards the beginning of the word have changed places, and the hard 'g' towards the end, has softened. There is a record of the spelling 'Brumingeham' in 1189, I believe.

Brummagem is not a 'slang' word for Birmingham, it is an alternative version of the name - as are the other variants mentioned. 'Brummagem' became the name used by the locals.
However, the unfortunate association between the name 'Brummagem' and some counterfeit goods produced by a few unscrupulous Brummies, resulted in the word 'brummagem' actually being given the dictionary meaning: 'counterfeit'. This led the likes of local industrialist, Matthew Boulton, to use the term 'Birmingham' for his products. The form 'Birmingham' became more socially acceptable in these circumstances.
'Brummagem' is an evolved, form of 'Birmingham'. It is neither more correct nor more incorrect than 'Birmingham'; it is not earlier than 'Birmingham'; it is not slang for Birmingham; and it may not be anything to do with 'West Bromwich'.

Is that clear enough? ;) ;D ;D ;D

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 09:12:31 »
back on topic....

I like it when some body else confirms some ones advice and shares their experience as well, why not? this is what we are all here for isn't it - sharing our experiences..... If every post got just one complete reply it would be a Q & A board and not a discussion forum!

Is worse when some one disagrees with someones advice, then the originator is left totally baffled with conflicting advice.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 10:55:37 »

I like it when some body else confirms some ones advice and shares their experience as well, why not? this is what we are all here for isn't it - sharing our experiences.....

I agree, whole heartedly.

My original comment was not about people sharing experiences and adding worthwhile comments to postings, it was about posting EXACTLY the same advice and ADDING nothing new to the discussion and then being thanked for it while the original poster is ignored!

Mind it also annoys me when people hijack postings and go wandering off thread instead of starting their own discussions! ;D ;D ;D :P
Gardening is the great leveller.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2006, 12:36:57 »
Believe it or not someone has just been and gone and done it again!!!! I posted a good snappy answer to a problem and 2 minutes later someone posts exactly the same as I did. WHY?

And with all due respect to Tim,  some of your responses to this are as much off topic as others.  ;D ;D ;D (just so as you don't go getting annoyed with me).

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 14:09:07 »
I think Tim must have hoovered.  I love a good spat I do.  Don't get those over the other site.  We all just get on far too well.  Have to come back here to observe the odd ding dong.  Strange really, what with all the troublemakers gone. ;)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 20:18:18 »
At the end of the day does it matter so much .. I have been writing a thread and posted it to find that since i started writing it someone had put the very nearly same answer as me ..As long as the person asking the question gets a good answer whether in duplicate or triplicate ..That is what matters surely // Tolerance costs nowt  ..But then again I may not understand the plot as I am from OOP NORTH...     :)   where tolerance abounds ... Cheers.. Jim
Cheers .. Jim

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2006, 20:22:15 »
Lot of good common sense from Oop North, too, Jim.  :)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2006, 20:26:26 »
I never said that it mattered, it just annoys a bit that's all. And I am from the north of England too, so there nerrrrrr! sniff!! :P
 ;D ;D ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2006, 20:26:59 »
ffs......................
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2006, 20:59:58 »
I'm from oop north too and I have the tollerance of Grizzly Bear with toothache :-*

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2006, 21:20:52 »
Some have noticed  ;D  ...  ..cheers Jim...
Cheers .. Jim

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2006, 23:46:48 »
Don't know if there are any crossword addicts out there, but one super site is

www.answerbank.co.uk

We all get terribly miffed if people don't say thanks, which they invariably don't. i do find it very odd, its a little word and means a great deal!

CLx

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2006, 00:13:04 »
I think Tim must have hoovered.  I love a good spat I do.  Don't get those over the other site.  We all just get on far too well.  Have to come back here to observe the odd ding dong.  Strange really, what with all the troublemakers gone. ;)

Well not quite RC we still have you and for how long Dan can put up with it who knows? you appear to be hell bent on causing upset here and "you" being a school teacher! well, who's teaching who? you appear to me to be acting like a child. Why not go back to the "other side" and tell them how well you have disrupted the site that spanked your bottom. ;)

P.S. Sorry for going off topic...well not really ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 00:14:59 by Roy Bham UK »

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2006, 00:58:54 »
 ;D

Well not quite RC we still have you and for how long Dan can put up with it who knows? you appear to be hell bent on causing upset here and "you" being a school teacher! well, who's teaching who? you appear to me to be acting like a child. Why not go back to the "other side" and tell them how well you have disrupted the site that spanked your bottom. ;)

P.S. Sorry for going off topic...well not really ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 13:36:56 by redclanger »

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2006, 13:50:59 »
Er, I don't think I was saying that I want to control what people post,certainly that was not my intention. All I think I said was that I find it a little annoying when people get thanked for repeating that which I had already written. Otherwise I don't give a monkey's what people write.

Ah, you mean plageurism plagiorism plagieurism plagarism* attributing another's original work to oneself, intellectual theft and general villany. Shocking, brass-necked, un-gentlemany/un-ladylike, non-cricket or even non-tickety-boo behavior which also gets me riled. :(

* I'm sure one of these is correct...

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 16:19:00 »
CLANGER!!!!!!!
stand in the corner with the pointy white hat marked with a 'd' on it!
tsk!

right-anymore of this and i am going to give kofi annan a ring.
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 16:32:27 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal