Author Topic: Annoying habit!  (Read 6406 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Annoying habit!
« on: May 22, 2006, 17:47:46 »
As most of those who know me will testify I am a fairly phlegmatic type. I don't get really excited about many things and am reckoned to be a tolerant type. BUT (there is always a BUT! isn't there?) why do people answer queries and merely repeat the same thing as I have just said? Not on here but elsewhere I answered a question, checking my facts before posting. I returned to the site a few minutes ago to see another dozen or so responses. I read them and NOT ONE said anything new or different to that which I wrote. Now I do not expect a response from the original poster either (though good manners should mean an acknowledgement, but what the heck!), but to find the someone who merely copied what I had written gets effusive praise for their answer is a little annoying to say the least.
Rant over. Back to watching the rain and painting the shed!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Annoying habit!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 19:55:30 »
I get a little annoyed when a poster asks a question and you respond in depth and the post drops off the bottom of the page without a kiss my cheek. :P

I now tend to keep em brief, as it happens often. 8)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 21:40:56 »
Yes Eric, when I was in my first job after being an apprentice, the chargehand told me a very important tip - always say thank you, even if you feel it is not warranted. I feel it is simple courtesy to acknowledge the time and effort that someone has given, since they are under no obligation.

So ... thank you for raising that point  :)

Roy, yes, to give what is sometimes a researched answer and then get no response is offputting to say the least ...

On the subject of rants, I nearly posted to rant about the amount of off topic threads appearing on this forum, then I realised I was reading the wrong boards !!!
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 23:31:30 »
Palustris, I agree entirely, I sometimes wonder what's the point but I have an idea that it comes about when a newish gardener feels that they actually know the answer to someones question, they just can't help themselves, even if someone else has already answered the question in full

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 23:34:19 »
Palustris, I agree entirely, I sometimes wonder what's the point but I have an idea that it comes about when a newish gardener feels that they actually know the answer to someones question, they just can't help themselves, even if someone else has already answered the question in full
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 23:34:40 »
Sorry Eric - just had to do it ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 23:35:49 »
::)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 00:06:50 »
Sorry Eric - just had to do it ;D

;D ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 12:17:55 »
If you're uncertain, and two people reply with the same answer, it is at least reassuring that the first person isn't just shooting their mouth off. The second person might have a bit of detail to add as well.

MollyBloom

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 16:05:07 »
Yes, I tend to agree with Robert here. It can be tedious reading through a heap of replies which all say much the same thing but, on the other hand, if 10 replies offer the same advice, then I figure it's likely to be GOOD advice! On the other hand, if there are 10 different replies (because nobody wanted to reiterate what has already been said), then how is the inexperienced gardener going to decide which one to follow?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 16:43:40 »
"Can you divide that carnation, I want 2" was the question I was asked.

My reply was "no, not possible, they grow from one root. Can try to propogate from new growth for you tho"

This answer didn't satisfy the lady cos it wasn't the one she wanted to hear

To date she has asked me again....and again...and again...

She has asked her next door neighbour

She has asked the neighbour over the road

She has asked the husband of her sister

She has asked a friend

She has asked her Social Worker

She has asked the man who cuts the grass for someone in the Close and who is a great fuschia grower

And Lord only knows who else.

She's not going to be satisfied until someone tells her that, yes, a single carnation plant can be divided.

And then....Heaven help me.....she's gonna insist that I do it ;D

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 17:07:05 »
If you agree with what has been said then why not say 'I agree' and add something else if necessary.  That way you can have your ten answers without having to wade through repetative stuff.
Lish, I have been there before, there is nothing you can do but wait until Fred down the roads Uncle Jim's drinking friends' binman says it can be done.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 17:11:10 »
If you're uncertain, and two people reply with the same answer, it is at least reassuring that the first person isn't just shooting their mouth off. The second person might have a bit of detail to add as well.

Yes, I tend to agree with Robert here. It can be tedious reading through a heap of replies which all say much the same thing but, on the other hand, if 10 replies offer the same advice, then I figure it's likely to be GOOD advice! On the other hand, if there are 10 different replies (because nobody wanted to reiterate what has already been said), then how is the inexperienced gardener going to decide which one to follow?

See ::)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 17:12:28 »
Eric,........I agree.

Whole-heartedly  ;D ;D ;D

Motherwoman

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 06:49:44 »
It'd get a bit quiet though....wouldn't it?
My idea of a good time is a new seed catalogue to read.

MollyBloom

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 12:32:46 »
Ah thanks, I think I get it now - it's OK to repeat myself by cutting & pasting the thing I'm arguing with and then saying "see", but it's not OK to repeat someone else's view by agreeing with it in my own way? Hm, seems like we're getting into all kinds of trouble by trying to lay down the law about what other people can or can't say (and isn't that Dan's prerogative anyway?).

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 13:06:20 »
Er, I don't think I was saying that I want to control what people post,certainly that was not my intention. All I think I said was that I find it a little annoying when people get thanked for repeating that which I had already written. Otherwise I don't give a monkey's what people write.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 13:34:59 »
i get a bit irritated by posts that just quote a previous post; if it's woth posting at all, it's worth putting ti in your own words, even if you're just agreeing with them.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 18:16:50 »
With great respect, Tim, and going Off-topic to Eric's essential statement, I don't see that the age, gender or location of a poster has relevance to the weight given to a poster's opinion?

(unless we know they're from Oop North, then allowances will be made...

or from Wales

or Scotland

or....or....or....anywhere not Brum, the Capital of Right-Thinking People, of Penshnable age and Female cos we're doubly always right)

;D ;D ;D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 18:25:22 »
And picking up on the off topic topic, and still proferring great respect, how is one 'doubly right'? My male brain is struggling with that one ...  ;)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal