Author Topic: spring onion and red kidney bean salad  (Read 1942 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
spring onion and red kidney bean salad
« on: May 18, 2006, 12:54:09 »
One of my Italian faves, good with game or ham.

Just picked my first bunch of over-wintering spring onions, had a tin of cheapo red kidney beans in the cupboard, so have just made this for tonight:

Drain the red beans and put in a dish. Chop up the spring onions and add. Make a marinade of good strong olive oil, wine vinegar, salt, black pepper, english mustard powder, lots of garlic (still got some left 8)) and even more chopped chilli.

Pour over and turn every time you pass. It's served at room temp so best kept out of the fridge and is even better made the day before you plan to eat it. I'll be throwing some chopped parsley over it just before eating.

Really simple, really nice. Snag.....every time I pass the dish I taste a mouthful....gonna be little left by 7.00pm ;D Having it with a gammon steak.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
Re: spring onion and red kidney bean salad
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 20:05:24 »
speaking to myself....

the soup I made with onion, potato, chicken stock, black pepper and the spring onion leaves is lovely!

Squashmad

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 18:16:36 »
The salad sounds delicious AM - you couldn't pass the bowl so I can have a nibble while I work at my computer?  ;D

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 21:55:02 »
I made a slight variation on this recipe yesterday by using cut green beans which I cooked til just tender then added the rest of ingredients....it was delish  :P......will be trying the kidney beans soon tho!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 00:02:22 »
HP, I'm needing to empty my freezer - eating the last of last year's runner beans this way too :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal