Author Topic: Allotment consumables: good buys and bad buys?  (Read 6221 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Allotment consumables: good buys and bad buys?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2006, 09:31:14 »
When I took my plot on, there was a greart load buried deep in the turf, and the only way to deal with it was to chop it apart with a space. It wasn't easy. I forgot two good buys; a B&Q wheelbarrow, and green slime to stop the tyre going flat every time I used it.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2006, 19:17:27 »
Green slime? Tell me more, please!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2006, 20:06:11 »
You get it from Halfords. Put it in your inner tube, and it seals punctures. If you leave the barrow too long unused, the tyre will go flat, but all you need to do is pump it up and start using it again.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2006, 22:17:13 »
If you go into Halfords (as RB says) you'll find it in the cycle department, as it is sold for cycle tyres.  Works well, but makes them heavy and stiffer to cycle on - not a problem for wheelbarrows  ;)

If/when the tube completly goes; it is harder to remove!!!

mat

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2006, 23:13:13 »
Best buy, A scaffolding plank... we have heavy clay soil which is unworkable dry but sticky and gooey (?) when wet. Lay the plank down and you can get at it without sinking up to your Knees! The best thing was it was free, we need to buy another after 13years it is starting to decompose, you can see through it in one part!

Worst buy, an extra long fork that was shorter than our original one, Draper bought off the internet... OH bought a stainless steel fork (Wilkinson sword) having finally broken the cheap wilco one after about ten years. It came with a lifetiome guarantee and she broke it in about five weeks! She is a compulsive digger but at under 8 stone she isn't hefty by anybodies standards!
 ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal