Author Topic: Agastache (Mexican Hyssop)  (Read 1887 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Agastache (Mexican Hyssop)
« on: May 21, 2006, 20:05:06 »
Has anyone had any success with germinating these seeds please and if so, do you have any tips or better still a spare seedling or two?   ;)  I got the seeds free with a gardening magazine earlier in the year and despite three separate sowings, only one seed germinated then died about about three weeks later.   :(

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Re: Agastache (Mexican Hyssop)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 08:15:27 »
i've got Apricot Sprite which were free from somewhere.

just chucked em in trays and away they went.  taking an awful long time to get anywhere though, sown on 24/3 but still tiny, max 1" high and still in their wee tray cells in the mini-greenhouse. 

gave them some warmth in the living room to start with but nothing very special after that.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 20:19:43 »
Thanks MrsKP.  Mine have had warmth on the kitchen window sill and I've had success with much more 'difficult' seed this year so I'm beginning to think the seed is duff.   :(   It's a shame because they are lovely plants and the bees will miss out.  Might check the nurseries...

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 22:18:58 »
I am of no help at all other than to say I grew it a few years ago, the apricot sprite one, and as I recall, it came up with no problems, but we hated the smell!  With me it would have been on a seed tray of multi purpose compost in the greenhouse and left to it..... :-\

MollyBloom

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 19:47:48 »
You and I must buy the same magazines! Mine germinated OK but stopped growing at about 3" high. They're still in little pots, showing no sign of ever getting strong enough to be planted out. I sometimes wonder about those freebies, especially when the packet value is more than the cost of the magazine!

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 08:04:02 »
Hi Georgie,  :D
                          I have grown agastache liquorice blue, from seed bought last year (75% off at Wilko`s). They germinated brilliantly & I have more than a dozen little plants that have now been out doors in pots for about 2 weeks & are growing quite well. PM me with your address details & I will send you some seeds, plenty left  ;D

Adrian.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 18:51:54 »
How kind, thank you very much Adrian.   ;D

G xx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal